12

(Y/n) huffed as her butt collided with the hard ground. She groaned in aggravation, rubbing the side of her head before glaring up at the smug blonde alchemist.

It was a particularly sunny day in the year 1913. The sun was beaming generously down on Eastern Command, and Edward had eagerly escorted his superior's young adopted child outside to practice fighting technique. Though the front lawn wasn't necessarily the most professional place to conduct this informal training, Roy found no harm in the matter, therefore no one else did.

"You always know I'm coming at you," the golden eyed boy smiled as he offered his hand out to the thirteen year old. (Y/n) shook her head and pushed herself up, dismissing Ed's gesture stubbornly not to be rude but to prove that she could get by without the excess assistance of her fellow state alchemist. "You're always aware of your situation, so that's not the problem here. It's your preparation for attacks and how you're going to fight back against those attacks."

"Shouldn't dodging be enough though?" (Y/n) frowned, adjusting her gloves and flicking specs of dirt from the white fabric.

"Don't be dumb, you know the answer to that question," Edward tucked a stray strand of hair behind his ear. "You have an extraordinary ability, but it's not gonna tell you how to fight back in life or death situations. It's just a warning. It's up to you to use that warning to react properly."

"I know, I know," she scratched the side of her cheek. She knew Ed was only trying to help her, and she had also been well aware of the things he was telling her. It was just annoying to be told the same thing that her father had said by the boy her age.

Edward placed his hand on his hip and tilted his head to the side slightly, giving her a wise look. (Y/n) looked to the Eastern Command building in order to avoid his gaze.

"What else is this feeling supposed to be good for if it's not gonna help me in a fight?"

The blonde's smile faltered. "What are you talking like that for? You have to put in the work, (Y/n). That's not something I thought I'd have to lecture you about."

(Y/n) sniffed and shook her head. "Sorry, I-I didn't mean it like that."

"Quit apologizing," he rolled his eyes.

"I'm just kinda frustrated. I'm grateful for everything I can do and the help I provide you and the military with this feeling, but sometimes I can't help but feel that it's all I'm good for."

Edward said nothing as (Y/n) fiddled with her iron laced gloves.

"I've only gotten stronger the more I work by your side. I just wish I didn't have to rely on you so much for the improvement. I know I have to do the work and stay motivated. I don't really have a right to complain if I don't put in the work," she tugged at the fingers of her gloves. "I don't know. Sometimes I just look at you and grow speechless. You're so strong and-"

A light shiver wracked her body, forcing her to stop when Ed's blade stretched toward her face. She acted quickly, ducking under his arm hastily and elbowing a weak point in his back that forced his body downward. He was inches away from eating the ground when he shifted his body's position at the last second and swept his leg under (Y/n)'s. She gritted her teeth, hands catching her fall and producing yellow light.

Stone reached upward and threw Edward's body into flight. He maneuvered his body in mid air to look down to (Y/n)'s figure throwing herself back onto her feet. He clapped his hands together to rid himself of his blade and touch the tampered stone beneath him as he landed, resulting in the cement reaching around (Y/n)'s ankles and securing her in its solid hold. She wobbled ungracefully, stretching her arms out in a feeble attempt to balance herself.