four

Your first week seems to fly by.

The longest part of your day is actually the bus ride home. The chilly September air makes waiting for the bus painful, and you're always ready to curl up in bed and put on a show by 5 pm that the seven minute bus ride feels excruciatingly long.

Levi seems to want to avoid contact if at all possible. There's always a stack of papers on your desk every morning. At least it's manageable: you go from sorting and filing profiles to making minor edits based on several other manuals and documents that he's making you read. 

You keep bringing him tea, but it's the same response every time. Not sweet enough, too sweet, or your personal favorite, "did you shove this shit in the fridge? It's ice cold."

On one of your lunch breaks, you sketch up the office in an attempt to figure out where everyone is and learn everyone's names. You'd ventured behind the divider once to find Hange's desk and another empty one. Apparently it belongs to Mike, the warehouse manager, but he's rarely up in the office. He spends most of his time in the warehouse. When you finish your sketch with everyone's names, you tuck it in your drawer, referring to it occasionally when glancing around the office.

 When you finish your sketch with everyone's names, you tuck it in your drawer, referring to it occasionally when glancing around the office

About an hour before you wrap up on Friday, Hange bounds by your desk. "Hey! Greenie!" they say brightly. "Doing anything tonight?"

You wrinkle your nose. "Greenie?"

"It's what we call the newbies."

"It's what you call the newbies," Jean interjects. "It hasn't caught on."

Hange points an accusing finger at Connie, who shrinks into his desk. "I heard Connie using it the other day!"

"Sue me, it's catchy," he mutters in defense.

You think about how Levi called you Red during your night together and feel your cheeks warm. "I don't mind," you say. "Sorry, Hange, what were you saying?"

"Drinks! We thought it wouldn't hurt for you to get to know us a little more, and vice versa," Hange says, leaning back against your desk. "We'd be heading out after work."

You have to bite your tongue to prevent yourself from asking if Levi is going. He's your boss, you really need to stop fantasizing about it. "That sounds like fun," you agree, enjoying how Hange's eyes light up behind their glasses. "Thanks. Who else is going?"

"I am," Sasha says, leaning towards you. "We'd better be going to Scouts. They make the best hamburgers."

"We're going to Scouts," Connie agrees, sharing a high-five with Sasha. "Because I dared Jean to go for a hot wing eating contest with me."

"You're going down, Connie," you hear Jean call from his desk.

"Jean, the last time you ate hot wings, you spent half an hour in the bathroom," Armin points out, joining the conversation.