Chapter 35: The Idris Vault

Amy watched her father as he walked just ahead of her, occasionally stopping to converse with this politician or that statesman's wife, and wondered how long he was planning on being cooperative. If she were honest with herself, she had no idea what he was up to, and it was unnerving. After two decades distrusting every word her father said, she struggled to believe he might actually be trying to help her. There had to be some sort of ulterior motive. And, frankly, she'd have preferred to nick the vials from the Idris vault on her own, but if she had to use her father, well, she was resigned to and waiting for whatever tricks he had up his sleeve.

The Idris vault was located three levels below the ground floor of the military compound attached to the Parliament Building, along with a variety of military projects. High security clearance was required to access the sublevels, although Amy was surprised to discover that no one seemed to view her presence as a problem; accompanied as she was by the Secretary, it was simply a matter of scanning her ident and waving her through.

"Your security is lacking," she remarked as they walked down a long corridor decorated with murals. She considered one of the paintings as they passed and asked, "Who did these?"

"There was a petition signed by most of the people who spend their time in the sublevels, requesting a more pleasant workspace," Brenner replied. "Several of our scientists turned out to be aspiring artists and volunteered to beautify the halls." He added, sounding amused, "And I'll be sure to raise issues of security at my next meeting with Naisbitt."

They rounded a corner and found themselves face to face with half a dozen armed guards sitting in front of a giant vault door, four of whom were playing at tokens, and none of whom were expecting their arrival. As soon as they registered Brenner's arrival, they all shot to their feet and snapped to attention.

"Secretary," said one—Colonel Raskin, assuming her name badge and insignia were correct. "I'm sorry, sir, we weren't informed you would be expecting today."

"That would undermine a surprise inspection, Colonel," Brenner said. "Lucky for you, that's not why I'm here." He frowned. "At ease before you hurt something."

Raskin and her men relaxed. Slightly.

"I need access to the Idris vault," he continued. "The Chancellor should have already sent down his authentication."

Raskin exchanged glances with the lieutenant colonel to her left. "I apologize for my mistake, sir," she said after a moment. "I assumed you were here on an inspection rather than Chancellor's business given your assistant."

"My daughter," Brenner said. "I'm endeavoring to educate her as to what I do on a daily basis, in an attempt to interest her in doing something useful with her life."

Amy rolled her eyes and signed audibly. "Dad..."

Raskin remained commendably composed, but whispers flew behind her.

"His daughter?"

"Annieka Brenner?"

"Surely not."

"That's what he said."

"Silence," Raskin snapped finally, clearly both annoyed with and embarrassed by the behavior of her men. "I apologize, sir. They're usually better behaved than this."

"See that it doesn't happen again," Brenner said sharply. "My daughter is not an exhibit in a zoo to be gawked at and gossiped about."

Raskin swallowed hard. "Of course, Secretary."

"Now, the vault." He took the jotter Raskin held out and input a code and his fingerprint before undergoing an eyescan; behind the guards, the vault clicked and hissed open. As he stepped forward, he said, "Annieka will remain here while I fetch the vials." Seeing Amy open her mouth to argue, he said, "You will do as you're told, Annieka, for once in your life. The Idris vault is not to be trifled with. Sit. Down."