65. Dead ends

RAFE

"What do you mean that we don't know where the cambion is?" The table shook as I smashed my fist on it, my rage getting the best of me. "This is my mate that is in danger. Failing to locate her and Markolf is unacceptable," I growled menacingly at Tom. " I want our best trackers out there- explore every possible lead. We have to find them."

"Yes, Alpha." Tom nodded and bowled down before he left the room.

Shit!

I placed my palms on the desk and threw everything off it. As if that was going to help us find Riley! Yet, as pointless as it was, it helped me to at least let my frustration out. I felt fucking helpless sitting in the packhouse while Riley was out there with that sicko.

I looked up, and I saw my mother's portrait, her eyes staring right at me while I dwelled on my despair. The image before me was a constant reminder that I could not give up. Failure was not an option. I was no longer some lost, scared teenager. I was a man. A warrior. The Alpha. And Riley was my mate, the one that I would die for over and over again just to make sure that she was safe.

"No luck?" The only man who could understand my pain spoke as he entered my office.

I let go of the breath that I didn't even realise that I was holding. Then again, ever since she disappeared with the cambion and that fucking warlock, I felt like the air had been stolen from me. Even the simplest, most natural things like breathing were difficult without her.

"What the fuck are we doing, Aiden? She is out there with him and we have no clue where they are." The dark stubble on my face felt rough, prickling my palm as I ran my hand over my cheeks and my chin. "How can we rescue her from that half-demon if we can't even find them?"

My best friend crashed in the seat in front of my desk. He was usually the positive, optimistic one from the two of us, always having something reassuring to say. Yet, right now, despondency was all I could see written across his face.

"I...I don't know, Rafe."

I grabbed the bottle of whisky that was sitting on the top of my desk and took two tumblers out of the cabinet, pouring us both generous amounts of the amber liquid. Coolness spread across my lower lip when it came in contact with the cold glass. The woody aroma- oak in particular- invaded my senses as I tipped the tumbler to take a sip. The familiar smokey flavour tickled my taste buds as the alcohol entered my mouth but the enjoyment was just not there. Normally it relaxed me but, at this moment, I was just numb to any feeling other than anger and despair.

"Any news on Cyrus' whereabouts?"

"No. No one from the clan had seen him since yesterday."

"Fuck," I hissed. "Another dead end."

Without meaning to, I found myself downing my drink and was just seconds away from smashing the glass in the wall when my office line rang.

"Alpha, Alpha Moreau is here to see you with two warlocks."

"Send them in."

Aiden nodded in understanding while I spoke, as we both knew who Lucien was accompanied by.

The Blackwood Alpha was just as anxious as we were to find Riley but while Aiden and I used our clan and pack connections to get information on the cambion's whereabouts, Lucien reached out to Riley's parents and they went looking for information amongst the witches and warlocks. The Boswells recognised the warlock that was supporting Markolf as soon as we provided them with a description even if they themselves had stayed away from their own kind ever since they adopted Riley.