Part Thirty-Three: Spite, Snappers & Spare Keys

*important authors note at the end*

"I have plenty of sponsors who would love to supply refreshments for your event, Mr. Thompson."

"Please, just Max."

You were currently stood at your desk next to a client who was having an art show, debuting his new collection. The Thompson family was an infamous name in the industry, a dynasty of artists, known for cutting-edge style and pushing the limits.

Max Thompson was no different, around your age, he was brutally honest and wickedly talented. You were beyond excited to work with him as you'd been a fan of his work for years.

He'd come to you, wanting you to be the one to plan the opening night. He admired your work and had heard your name in the industry numerous times so he was elated to have you look after him. The high-profile event wasn't for another couple of months but you decided to get a head start.

"I can email them through as soon as we wrap up. They've got some great options." You smiled.

You sidestepped around to grab a folder and missed Max's eyes as they trailed down your figure. Long legs with pointed heels, a tight fitted skirt that stopped just above your knees, offering a perfect view of your curves before trailing up to your long-sleeved blouse. He admired your profile, the angle of your nose, the fullness of your lips, and your charming smile.

You were a woman of potency and ability. He was in awe of you and how you carried yourself, clearly confident and sure of yourself in business and your personal life.

"What do you like to drink?"

You turned to look at him with a raised brow. He was staring at you in wonder, his lips pursed. "I think light champagne always works at these kinds of events. Can't go wrong with it, in my opinion."

"What about outside of work? We'll go get a drink somewhere tonight."

"That's hardly an environment to discuss business." Your eyes narrowed.

He chuckled, placing his hands on his hips. "I was thinking of maybe leaving the business here."

"I don't think that's appropriate."

"Maybe not." He shrugged. His eyes fanned down your body. " We could get to know each other.

Your brows shot up in surprise. "Oh, I mean... that's... wow... Max, I have a boyfriend." You weren't expecting that at all, mildly uncomfortable and wanting to smack him for even insinuating anything remotely unprofessional like that.

"Damn, that's a shame. I mean, it's not surprising at all. I had to shoot my shot." He grinned, eyeing you.

You sighed, having half a mind to refer him to someone else because of his behavior. "Let's keep this strictly professional."

"Right." He laughed it off, shaking his head. You looked down at your desk, the two of you knowing that there was nothing further to discuss regarding his event.

"I'll show you out." You shook off the awkward weight of the whole situation and led him from your office and into the showroom. Everyone else had gone home for the day, as your meeting had run a little over.

You stopped dead in your tracks when you saw Harry stood to the side, viewing a new art piece from an artist you'd secured. You thought of him when you saw it, a beautiful abstract watercolour of a meadow.

It depicted peace and also the lightest and most radiant parts of his soul. And the sunshine reminded you of his smile, how they both gave you the same kind of warmth.