Acquiescence

A/N: Ahh I was so excited to post today! This is definitely a very pivotal chapter and also highlights how much of a goddamn mess Dove is.

This one is pretty long, so grab a snack and settle in.

~

It was one of those mornings when the overwhelming summer heat hit from the moment the sun crept up over the horizon, instantly leaving the sidewalks scorching as soon as the town came to life.

The local convenience store was just opening its doors by the time Dove and her friends arrived. Eight o'clock on the dot. Ready to stock up on snacks for their long day at the river. It had been their group tradition since middle school— spending the entire first Saturday of the summer swimming in the sun until they were burnt pink and thoroughly exhausted.

Dove pushed open the door, making the brass bell chime as she stepped inside to start her perusing of the thin aisles of junk food. Her sneakers squeaked over the linoleum flooring, her tanned legs— always somehow smattered in random bruises— rooting out from her jean shorts that were covered in rips and grass stains from many summers spent wearing them for adventurous days like this. Looking effortlessly scrappy as always.

The owner, Wes, stood behind the front counter with a cigarette between his lips, craning his neck to keep an eye on the teens, trying to make sure they weren't pocketing a candy bar or two on their way around the shop. The rusty fan behind him was oscillating back and forth, doing very little to dry the sweat that was already beading on his brow.

Dove saw him scrutinizing the group and gave him a soft wave, easing his concerns somewhat once he recognized her. She opened the huge drink refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water for herself, then found a bag of pretzels and some Whoppers in the snack aisles. Clutching them all in her hands as she rounded the aisle to find her friends crowded together.

"Can I borrow some change, Mj?" Peter asked, furrowing his brows nervously as he awaited her response.

"You already own me a fortune."

"I know, I know, but I forgot to eat before we left and I really want these chips," he pleaded to her, holding up the crinkling bag in his hand.

Dove giggled at the exchange. "I can cover you, Peter," she said, juggling her things in her hands, then digging into her pocket for some spare change.

Wanda side-eyed her. "Careful with that offer. He'll suck you dry."

"Will not," he argued, "I'm working at the diner this summer, so I can pay you back soon, okay?"

"Pete, it's fifty cents. Don't worry about it," Dove said, extending it out to him and dropping the couple of quarters into his palm with a soft scruff of metal. Being her much too giving self, she never minded covering for her friends in need.

"Thanks, Dove." He smiled, practically skipping over to the checkout counter with his snack.

Once they all checked out and filled their backpacks with their goods, they hopped onto their bikes and took off through the streets of Roseworth. The town was bustling with traffic— er, what they considered traffic. That being six cars lined up at the city center intersection rather than the usual two. It seemed that everyone was up early to make the most of the sun before it got too hot, as it always did in the afternoon.

The river wasn't too far out, roughly twenty minutes on a bike. At the edge of town, just behind the park that surrounded the old elementary school. They rode through the treelined path and over a small wooden bridge. Once they got deeper into the forest, they got off their bikes and rolled them as they trekked through the dirt walkway to their favorite spot, passing by a few other groups of people that had the same idea they did— to swim away the warmth.