Chapter Fifty Eight

"I freakin love UA," Yoarashi bellowed, as he and Maeve lounged on one of the building's roofs in the arena. They had mere seconds left until the start of the exam, which caused a swarm of chaos on the ground below them. Up there, Maeve rather felt like the only thing missing was one of those drinks with little umbrellas in them. If she passed the exam she'd call Jin and see if that could be arranged.

"The whole plus ultra thing is awesome! I love it!"

"Eh, it gets old after a while. Trust me. I hope I wasn't the one to scare you off with that drug test," Maeve replied, pressing a button behind her ear to allow a familiar visor to replicate over her face. Along with her bodysuit, that was the only piece of old equipment she'd kept.

5

"No, the test was super!"

4

"Thanks for agreeing to partner up by the way."

3

"I love working with other hot-blooded heroes in training-"

2

"-You were the one who was kind to me at the recommendations exam so-"

1

"-I can't wait! Plus ultra!!"

GO

Maeve took a deep breath and thanked her lucky stars, faint and far between as they were, that she'd never been afraid of heights. The girl then took a running start and catapulted herself into thin air.

"Ahem. There's still time to quietly step out and no one will think worse of you," Mera's sleep-deprived croaks resonated out of a microphone in her visor. They must've placed it there while hiding spy equipment in her apartment. Maeve could barely hear him over the screeching of the wind as she twisted in the sky like the girl had witnessed Bakugo demonstrate countless times. It was like a dance, a breakneck, wild dance, and if there was one physical thing she knew how to do, it was dancing.

"The Commission reminds you that in your current physical and psychological condition, this is extremely dangerous. You have no combat training whatsoever-"

Maeve touched down on a platform of compressed air and retracted her visor to cut him off. The sense of hanging, being enveloped by the sky, made her laugh even with air being sucked out of her lungs. Up there, she felt untouchable. She felt alive. Maeve focused her watering eyes on the whirlwind of balls and below that, stunned examinees who'd only just started properly fighting. However, some were already recovering from Yoarashi's quirk and spotting her as the easier target between the two. Time to change that sentiment.

Maeve gripped her staff and it came alive in her hands. An upside-down forest of writhing branches honed in on and pinned down everyone in the street in the blink of an eye. It was just like targeting a patient's cancerous cells on a larger scale. She felt a lurch in her stomach at the stretching of her quirk's limits, but it was manageable.  

"I believe heroes should be hot-blooded! If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to join in this white-hot battle," Yoarashi boomed with barely contained excitement. Maeve didn't think there was much of a battle left to join, but he'd clearly spent a while thinking of the perfect lines so didn't rain on his parade.

"Please and thank you," Yoarashi roared, then streamed balls downwards on Maeve's helpless captives. A symphony of beeps fell on disbelieving ears as their opponent's targets were activated. Maeve willed her staff to retract and reopened her visor, blinking away a narrowing of her vision.