Life in the Flames-11

Chapter 11

Realization

After Breezy had left my room, I changed into a soft white nightgown from inside the wardrobe. I lay in my bed but sleep would not come. My mind reeled at the idea of Reid liking me.

Why me? I'm just a simple, water wielder. There is nothing special about me. I thought as I suddenly became very uncomfortable under my suffocating sheets.

I slipped out from under the covers and out into the cool night air of my balcony. My mind was ablaze with the scenes throughout the past few days and I needed to just let it all go. So I sat down, crossed my legs, and surrendered to the renewing moonlight.

Everywhere the silver rejuvenating light hit my skin, a feeling of calm spread through my entire being. My breathing easily fell into a rhythm as I emptied my mind and fell into the void. My heartbeat slowed along with my calm, thoughtless mind as I took in the sounds of the night.

A whippoorwill called into the night, servants scuttled around below in the garden, and an orchestra of bug songs completed the soothing sounds. I could feel an oncoming summer shower forming as the moisture grew in the high air. My senses were heightened as I felt all the water in the palace, under the ground, and the free rolling ocean miles away.

The moon gives water wielders a stronger bond with the water around them. Which means stronger bending and better control when the moon is up, and if it is full water wielders are at their most powerful.

Suddenly I heard voices from below my balcony in the garden. "Did you see the girl?" a man's gruff voice asked.

"Yes, what a rare find she was," another male voice returned.

"But did you see them together?"

"Ah, yes. Very strange wasn't it?"

Thunder crashed, rumbling the balcony, and I squealed as I scrambled to flee inside of my room. I threw the door closed right as a bolt of lightning split the sky and was followed by another clap of ground rumbling thunder. Moments later I hopped into the sanctuary of the covers, curled up, and fell asleep with a hand clutching the warm crescent moon as the rain started falling.

......

Reid's POV

"She said yes," I said to myself quietly as I made my way to the royal wing of the palace. Servants bowed to me as I passed but all I could think about was her answer. I was utterly surprised she had said yes. She was so reserved I had no idea what was going through her head.

As soon as I entered my room I felt the heat of someone's presence inside. I held up my palm, where a warm flame grew and lit the torches on my walls to reveal Burke sitting on my bed.

My smile hadn't left my face until I saw how sternly Burke stared me down with his orange eyes.

"Burke are you alright, my friend?"

 "Am I alright? Reid, look at what you have been doing. You were with Alonia weren't you?" he asked accusingly.

I blinked my eyes and answered confused, "I was with her out in the garden. Why does that matter?"

He sighed as he stood and turned his back to look out my window, "Have you not heard what people have been saying? Probably not. Reid, I have never seen you act this way towards a girl like you do her. Have you not thought of how this may look to your people?"

"Burke she's so different. She's a mystery that has been unfolding before my eyes. She doesn't treat me like a beloved prince like all the others. She treats me like she would any other person. Oh, and she's beautiful. Never have I been so entranced by eyes until I saw her gorgeous ones. Burke I just want to get to know her better."