Prologue

(A/N: I drew this version of the main character.)

A family of four waited in the waiting room of the hospital just outside of Newsie Square. The mother was holding a baby boy in her lap, leg bouncing anxiously. The father was holding the little girl, the little girl being the reason for their hospital visit.

A tall man with a white coat, crazy white hair, and bright blue eyes came out. "Hello, Mr and Mrs. Danvers. I'm Doctor Callaway." The man shook both adults' hands, blue eyes falling on the sleeping twelve-year-old girl.

"So?" The father asked, leaning forward in nervous anticipation.

"Daddy? Is the doctor here?" The drowsy girl asked, opening her brown eyes a sliver.

"Yes, baby," the dad answered, his voice sad.

"News?" The mother pressed, rubbing the baby boy's back.

"I regret to inform you, but your daughter has Leukemia," Doctor Callaway sighed, placing his hand on the girl's shoulder.

"Leu-ke-what?" The small girl asked, eyes flying open.

"You have cancer," the doctor clarified.

"Oh," the girl's voice dropped to barely above a whisper.

"Oh, honey," the mom sobbed, embracing her husband and daughter in a hug with the son.

"I'll come over to the bakery tomorrow," the doctor nodded and left. The family of four left, heading back home and getting their daughter to take a nap.