Fitz

"Then I suppose I'll be seeing you a lot more... wont I?" Sophie chided teasingly, subconsciously coming closer too Keefe.

"Don't try to get too excited, then I might think you like me." Keefe said with a smirk and Sophie's heart couldn't help but flutter. His eyes were alit with challenge as she made her comeback.

"Oh yeah? Well maybe I d-"

"Keefe?" An all too familiar voice interrupted her.

Fitz.

~~~

"Um... hey?" Sophie mumbled, glancing at Fitz who seemed paralyzed in shock at the moment, she shifted her glance too Keefe and suddenly realized how close they were standing, lurching back a blush crossed her cheek as Fitz snapped out of his trance.

"Sophie what... Keefe? You... aren't you supposed to be missing?" Fitz asked, looking absolutely flustered.

"Maybe. Too be honest I can't remember much, but we're friends right?" Keefe questioned and Sophie cringed, realizing now that while Keefe had no recollection of her, his memories of everyone else were twisted so much you might wonder which was real.

"Of course were friends." Fitz said, seeming more confused than ever and Sophie decided to clue him in.

"So... Keefe forgot me. We think it was the Neverseen. And they sort of changed his memories about the rest of you...?" She trailed off not quite sure how to explain it. Keefe stood awkwardly, as if he'd rather exit the room but still he didn't say a word.
Meanwhile Fitz was glaring at her in a huff.

"Why didn't you tell me any of this? And how come Keefe's back? Last time I came her you were missing Sophie, you've no idea how worried I've been." Fitz said and shook his head at her and she frowned. Okay yeah maybe she should've prepared better, but what was wrong with having Keefe back?

"Sorry Fitz but I've had a lot on my mind between finding Keefe, helping him with his memories, finding a place to liv-"

"Being irresponsible and running away when you mother needs you," Fitz said under his breath just loud enough for Sophie too hear.

"What?" Sophie asked, her voice low and guarded.

"I'm just saying, you left your family at a bad time." Fitz mentioned, eyes flashing at hers. An indescribable emotion in the glints of his eyes.

"Oh I'm sorry, I guess you wanted me to leave your best friend vulnerable where he has no back up, I'll be sure to remember that when you run away." Sophie said, and almost regretted her harsh words.

"I could've gone to find Keefe! You didn't have to take everything into your own hands. But of course the great and mighty Moonlark has everything under control. Why would she ever need her cogna-"

"You didn't though did you?" Sophie interrupted Fitz with a shout. Ignoring his other hurtful comments.

"You didn't try to find Keefe. I did. And he's here now, he can't remember me, the Neverseen are plotting an evil plan and this is all you can think of? What is it Fitz? Why do you have such a problem with me? Aren't I enough for you? Or am I not that sweet little cognate you've always dreamed of? Because if I'm not... well there's always other telepaths to choose from!" Sophie yelled, and the hurt in Fitz eyes made her regret every word.

Fitz was her friend.

Even if... things were so complicated.

"I'm sorry." She whispered, and Fitz stared at her, mouth open but didn't say a word.

"I didn't mean that."

"Didn't you?" Fitz asked softly, and she pursed her lips, swallowing back a lie.

"I... don't know."

That was the truth. And Fitz could see it too. He opened his mouth to say,

"Things between us haven't been the same since..." they got together.

It was the truth. And there was no way they could hide from it. It wasn't that Fitz was a bad guy, or a bad friend. Because in truth he was just like any other, someone who made mistakes, someone who didn't always choose the right thing. But it had gone too far when they became more. Looking back she saw how pressured she'd felt to be perfect, perfect like Fitz. But no one could be, and with each mistake they grew further and further apart. But she didn't want to lose him.

He was the first person to give her a second glance. The first person to tell her she belonged somewhere. And she would never forget that.

"I think... we need a break." Sophie murmured and Fitz bit his lip.

"Just some time too cool down, think things through. After awhile maybe we can talk about everything," Sophie said and glanced into his sad teal eyes.

"You're right, and for the record I'm sorry for what I said." Fitz said, and glanced away, raising his home crystal to the sky.

"Me too." Sophie whispered, not sure if he heard her.

After he left she did the only thing she knew how.

Run straight into the arms of a blonde haired elf.