016

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧 𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗠𝗢𝗡𝗬

chapter sixteen:truth, justice, and songs in our key !

chapter sixteen:
truth, justice, and songs in our key !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

AFTER A REALLY long night of writing song lyrics and choreographing a dance in Big Red's basement, the whole cast had managed to put together a last minute performance to save Miss Jenn. Athena, Nini, and Ashlyn had written Truth, Justice, and Songs in Our Key in about the span of an hour while the dancing (choreographed by Carlos, naturally) took three. None of them had gotten much sleep, but they were energized from the adrenaline that morning.

All of them were scattered around the cafeteria, where Miss Jenn's board meeting was taking place. Athena sat in between Ricky and Violetta, her leg bouncing up and down in anticipation as she looked around the room. She could see her parents in the crowd as well. Ricky then placed his hand on her leg to calm her down and sent her a comforting smile. She sent a nervous one back before tuning into the meeting again.

"Miss Jenn, it may not surprise you to learn that we have heard earfuls about your unorthodox style ever since you got to East High," Principle Gutierrez announced. "Personally, I always chalked it up to the well known fact that people in the dramatic arts are insane."

"Thank you," Miss Jenn replied.

"But now, we have news that your resume is exaggerated. Your teaching credential is from obscure online university, and even your official name might be some version of a stage name. What do you say to this charge?"

"I have always done my best by these kids—" Miss Jenn began.

"Just answer the question," Principle Gutierrez stated.

"Excuse me," Mike voiced, Athena and Ricky sharing shocked glances as his father stood up. "Can I say something?"

"I'm sorry, we're not opening up the floor to parents on this."

"Let him speak," one of Nini's moms argued.

Principle Gutierrez sighed. "Go ahead, Mr. Bowen."

"I'm a little late to this party, but I gotta say the real crime here would be botting a teacher who's making a positive impact," Mike continued. "I've never seen my kid this invested in anything, and I don't think that's something we should punish, Your . . . Honor."

Amanda then stood up. "I agree. My daughter has always had a love of playing piano but never had any place to showcase it. Now she's joined this musical and is coming home every day telling me what song she learned that day. She's finally found her niche, and you're just taking that away."