thirty

•••

•••

ALEXA WAS TOSSING and turning in bed, bucky sleeping peacefully to her left. she looked at him, and smiled softly. the nightmares have gotten much better, and alexa is glad that bucky's has gone a few nights a week with at least seven hours of sleep a night.

bucky moved in his sleep, his right arm draping over alexa's waist, pulling her towards him. she allowed him to, head buried in his chest.

"why are you wake doll?" he mumbled, his sleepy, raspy voice was music to her ears. it was almost three in the morning, and they had training at nine.

"i can't sleep. anxious i guess. go back to sleep buck, i'll be okay." bucky shook his head, alexa looking up to see him looking down at her in the dark. she saw the outline of his smile, alexa smiling back softly. bucky rubbed his eyes and sat up, alexa doing the same.

"what's buggin' you sweetheart?" bucky questioned, alexa letting out a sigh.

"i don't know how to describe it to be honest. it's just that feeling in the pit of my stomach. plus, i hate to admit i'm a bit nervous for you to leave next week." bucky was going on his first solo mission since getting his trigger words removed.

"you worry too much doll." bucky joked, knowing alexa had grown some separation anxiety whenever bucky was gone over the course of the 9 months they've known each other.

"i know, it's just cause i love you and you know that. i just want you to be careful, please." he heard the slight desperation in her voice.

"i will." he tried to sooth her worries, knowing that there was always a chance things could go wrong. alexa nodded, bucky pulling her closer to him. he held her tight, her head resting comfortingly on his chest.

"i love you." "i love you too buck."

she looked up to look at him in the darkness. bucky's hand cupped her cheek, alexa leaning into the touch. she sat up as they kissed softly, alexa feeling him smile against her lips.

"you make me so happy." bucky mumbled against her lips. without breaking the kiss, bucky swiftly moved alexa onto his lap, her now straddling him over the bedsheet.

"are we really doing this right now?" even in the darkness, he knew her eyebrow was cocked up.

"why not? it'll help you relax." he suggested, making alexa chuckle and shake her head at her goofy boyfriend.

"you're lucky i love you james." "i know."

he looked at her with endearment in his eyes as he showed her in many ways that night how much he loved her.