ten

"god." you groan, rolling your head on your neck for the hundredth time.

the sofa was comfortable enough, and severus had given you at least four pillows but you still hadn't managed to fall asleep.

you felt a pulsing sensation in every limb of your body and every breath felt like tiring labour.

at least, you didn't feel hot anymore.

sitting there in your black tank top and shorts you bring your knees to your stomach. it grumbles loudly and you frown, scolding your stomach in your head.

you have no idea why you are hungry again. normally you could go a day or two without a meal without complaints but for some reason- now, things are different.

everything is different.

severus comes into the room as if on cue and sits on a stool a few feet in front of you.

"i'm nearly finished brewing. i've just got to wait for the potion to cool before i can bottle and store them."

"how soon will i need them?" you ask.

"soon enough. tomorrow night at earliest." severus answers.

your stomach lets out an ungodly growl again and you smile with embarrassment.

severus' eyebrows raise. "are you hungry?"

"a little." you say quietly.

you always hated asking for food, normally because it meant your mother got upset.

"you should have told me. there's some left over sheppard's pie in the kitchen that i can heat up for you."

you lick your lips.

you had a bit of sheppard's pie at hogwarts with albus and had been yearning for a bit more.

"i'll take that as a yes." severus announces standing up and walking to the kitchen.

"uh severus!" you call out.

"mhm." he pops his head back round the door.

"what time is it?" you ask.

"it is-" he squints at a small clock on the mantle. "10 to 12."

you nod. "okay."

"you should probably sleep soon after you eat." severus says, walking away and he continues to talk to himself but you can't hear him properly from the kitchen.

your mind wanders to the voices you had heard the last time you tried to fall asleep.

you could recognise their voices anywhere.

what you didn't understand was why they would come to you each time you tried to drift off to sleep.

you wanted so desperately to leave them behind. no matter how much you cared about them, they were despicable.

cruel.

you wait a few minutes for the pie to be heated up, scratching at your legs and staring up at the ceiling till severus comes back in the room- holding two plates of pie.

"here." he says, watching you sit up and handing the plate to you along with a fork.

he heads over to the stool and sits down behind it, putting the plate on the seat.

"you can sit on the sofa if-"

"no. don't worry." severus cuts you off. "it's fine- just eat."

you decide to not persist with him, knowing that it was not in his nature to be this kind and that it wasn't wise for you to push it.