˗ˋ 04

CHAPTER FOUR

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY ARGUE

. . .

It was like a Dementor had arrived in the room - as soon as Sirius had said the word it fell silent, and the room around them froze just as if the happiness had been sucked out of it. Rosie's hand shook, and beside her, Fred gently lowered it, not wanting to upset the goblet balanced in it. 

"I did!" said Harry indignantly. "I asked Ron and Hermione but they said we're not allowed in the Order, so -" 

"And they're quite right," said Mrs. Weasley. "You're too young." She was sitting bolt upright in her chair, her fists clenched upon its arms, any trace of drowsiness gone.

 "Since when did someone have to be in the Order of the Phoenix to ask questions?" asked Sirius. "Harry's been trapped in that Muggle house for a month. He's got the right to know what's been happen-"

"Hold on!" George and Rosie chorused, any nerves from hearing the name gone, and the three best friends sat up in their seats at once. "How come Harry gets his questions answered?" Rosie asked.

"We've been trying to get stuff out of you for a month andyou haven't told us a single stinking thing!" said George. "And you haven't even told Rosie anything, even though she's going to visit Diggory every day!"

"'You're too young, you're not in the Order,'" continued Fred, in a high pitched voice that sounded uncannily like his mother's. "Harry's not even of age!"

"It's not my fault you haven't been told what the Order's doing," said Sirius calmly. "That's your parents' decision. Harry,on the other hand-" Rosie's glare fixated on her father, who rose his hands, shrugging. 

"It's not down to you to decide what's good for Harry!" saidMrs. Weasley sharply. Her normally kind face looked dangerous. "You haven't forgotten what Dumbledore said, I suppose?"

"Which bit?" Sirius asked politely, but with an air as though readying himself for a fight. 

"The bit about not telling Harry more than he needs to know," said Mrs. Weasley, placing a heavy emphasis on the last three words. 

Rosie, Ron, Hermione, Fred, and George's heads turned from Sirius to Mrs. Weasley as though following a tennis rally. Ginny was kneeling amid a pile of abandoned butterbeer corks, watching the conversation with her mouth slightly open. Lupin's eyes were fixed on Sirius. 

"I don't intend to tell him more than he needs to know, Molly," said Sirius. "But as he was the one who saw Voldemortcome back, he has more right than most to -"

"He's not a member of the Order of the Phoenix!" Mrs Weasley replied. "He's only fifteen and-"

" -and he's dealt with as much as most in the Order," Sirius finished her sentence, looking postively enraged. "And more than some -" 

"No one's denying what he's done!" said Mrs Weasley, her voice rising, her fists trembling on the arms of her chair. "But he's still-"

"He's not a child!" Sirius said impatiently. 

"He's not an adult either!" said Mrs. Weasley, the color rising in her cheeks. "He's not James, Sirius!" Rosie's eyes widened, a quiet gasp leaving her lips.