XXXII

"Though we adore men individually
We agree that as a group they're rather stupid!" Richard M. Sherman & Robert B. Sherman, Sister Suffragette

----

XXXII.

Claire did not know what Jack said, or what he had done, but the letters from Arthur soon ceased after Jack's return from London. Shortly after their reconciliation, Jack had left to call upon Arthur, though Claire knew it would be anything but a social call.

Claire and Jack spent the following four weeks finding their place in the other's life again. The ease of the friendship that they had shared did not magically reappear, and before there could be familiarity, there was awkwardness and uncertainty.

But Jack did try. He was attentive and present, and he never, not once, walked out on a conversation. He invited Claire to speak about Arthur, and after some convincing, she had divulged exactly what had transpired over their three years of supposed courtship.

Claire told Jack of her infatuation with Arthur, beginning in childhood. She told him how she used to dress especially nice for church when she was but ten years old in hope that Arthur would notice. Claire explained how this infatuation had become her silly idea of love, and how it had culminated in Arthur kissing her for the first time on the night of that fateful winter assembly.

Arthur had convinced Claire that it was a courtship, and that it must be kept secret. His mother wouldn't approve, and if she were, she needed time. Claire was too naïve to understand that chaperones needed to be present during a respectful courtship, and that what she was engaging in was a reputation ruining tryst. Claire had fallen head over heels in love with Arthur, or what she had believed to be love at the time.

Over the years, he would tell her that he doubted her love, or that he needed to be convinced, and Claire believed him completely, fearing for his insecurities. This was how he had convinced her that she needed to prove herself in a more intimate way. Claire had known it was wrong to be engaging in such affairs outside of marriage, but Arthur had always told her that they would be married when he had convinced his mother.

The moment she had revealed her pregnancy, Arthur had spurned her, and Claire realised that she had been monumentally fooled. And that was why she could not understand why Arthur refused to leave her alone. If he didn't want her, why did he keep interfering?

Jack dutifully listened to her tale, even though Claire knew he hated every moment of it. She couldn't know exactly what he was thinking, but she truly hoped he was not wondering how on earth she could be so persuaded.

But he never said any such thing. Instead, he brushed her cheek with the backs of his knuckles and uttered, "I am so very sorry this happened to you. There is a special place in hell for men who illtreat women."

Claire and Jack began sharing a bedroom again shortly thereafter, and slowly they began to return the friends that they were before Jack had left for London. Although, Claire did sense something was different. She found Jack hesitating at times, often before he spoke, or if he looked to be thinking over something. It was as though he had something on the tip of his tongue and couldn't yet say anything.

Claire feared asking him what was on his mind. Jack had refused to tell her what has transpired between himself and Arthur, and she worried that Arthur had been cruel. She didn't want to hear that Jack was doubting the trust that he had put in her.

By Claire's calculations, she was in her eighth month of pregnancy when it came time to christen Lily. She felt as big as a horse, and she found her dress to be entirely unflattering, and yet she was forced to attend as Grace and Adam had asked her and Jack to be Lily's godparents. Of course, Claire was honoured and would carry the title with pride, only she wished she did not feel so much like a peddler pushing a heavy cart.