The outrage, the scandal!

I am surprised after that to see my brother on the dance floor and with none other than Daphne. "Well, that is a charming new development."

"It is indeed. Your brother and our sister, we shall be practically related." Benedict leans by the side of me, handing me another drink and passing one along the line to Colin also. "I saw you dancing with Anthony earlier. I must say, I am rather insulted you did not come to me if you wished to dance."

"Nor me. I did think that I should be your first choice and if not then at least your second. Now I such great concern that I could possibly be third!" Colin exclaims, grinning widely down at me.

"Lady Danbury suggested it and you do not wish to deny her what she wishes for. She is a rather terrifying woman when she wishes to be." As they mention their brother, I glance across the table to see him talking with a group of men. I make a horrible moment of eye contact with him and unlike before, neither of us can break it quick enough. I let out a bored sigh. This night has gone on much too long and I am bored now, I am horribly bored. And I express this to the pair of them.

"Well, there is something called the dark walk around here. It is scary and scandalous and full of secrets." The older brother raises a suggestive eyebrow, handing me yet another glass of champagne which I reject this time. "It is also not here, and thus the basis of it's appeal. What if Anthony were to come, would that tempt you?"

"You are trying to get me drunk, Mr Bridgerton? I am not sure it is such a wondeful idea for me to go on this dark walk alone with two men, whatever shall Lady Whistledown say? It shall be ever so good for her gossip paper, do you not think? Lady Basset returns to London to be ruined by not one, but two Bridgerton boys. The outrage, the scandal! How should the addition of your irritating eldest brother tempt me whatsoever?"

"You are the one who danced with him, and you are the one who keeps looking for him. Do not think I have not noticed, I am a surprisingly observant man." Benedict raises both eyebrows and I scowl at him harshly.

"Besides, we shall do nothing of the kind and I am rather outraged you should suggest such." Colin laughs, looking around the dance floor and frantically waving at another young lady. She is in a hideous yellow dress and so from what I recall Daphne telling me, she must be a Featherington. "What if Pen were to come with us, shall that make you feel better?"

"It only makes me feel as though she is another beautiful young woman you wish to embroil in a scandal." I offer her a polite smile. She is much shorter than me, with wild ginger hair and a round face. She would be much prettier if it were not for the decorations she wears in her hair and the choice of dress colour and pattern. "I do not believe we have met. I am Lady Delilah. You look rather daring tonight, I wish I had the confidence to look so wonderful in something so..."

"Hideous? It is my mama's choice and I do not get a say in it, I am afraid. Penelope Featherington." Her cheeks flush red as I compliment her and I can tell that she does not receive many compliments. "You look rather stunning tonight as well, my lady. I should much rather be in your dress than my own."

"As would anyone with eyes." Benedict chuckles to himself as he looks at her, his eyes widening slightly as he realises quite what he has said. "I do not insult you, Pen. Only your mama."

"Anyway." I narrow my eyes at him slightly and he awkwardly turns his face away, reaching only for another drink which is gone within mere seconds. "Penelope, these two men are attempting to lure me into the dark walk alone, can you believe the cheek of them?"

"I know you should not do so. The ladies of the ton should think very lowly of that, my lady." Penelope comments, smiling at me, eager to speak to me. I cannot truly believe I have such an impact on people, everyone other than the viscount seems to be instantly infatuated with me yet he seems to be instantly infuriated.

"Yes, you cannot trust men and their wandering hands, after all. Especially not two rakes such as these ones, hm?"

"I am not a rake!" Colin exclaims and looks at Pen for assistance in defending himself but she does not, only giggling a little as though she is merely happy to be involved in a conversation. "I cannot speak for Benedict, however."

"I take great offence to that, brother. My hands shall stay strictly above waist height."

"And that is half of my worry!" I raise an eyebrow at him as he raises one back. "I shall not be accompanying you any such place. I care little of my reputation and my brother does not wish for me to marry either way, but the last thing I need is for some mistake to happen, a child to occur and then be forced into a marriage with either one of you. Hm? That should be my idea of living hell."

"A child occur? In the dark walk?" Penelole suddenly jumps in, tilting her head curiously. "How ever such should that happen before you are married?"

I pause for a moment as I look at her. Neither of the boys say a word either, only stiffle laughter, Benedict once again turning his face away and Colin pushing a hand over his mouth to suppress whatever shall come out of it. "Oh, uh, what is that? I believe Lady Danbury is calling me. I shall see you all later, it has been a pleasure to meet you, Penelope." I excuse myself from the situation, the two boys bursting into fits of chuckles as I leave and Penelope continuing to look rather shocked and confused. I walk towards Lady Danbury, hoping that I shall be able to convince her that I should be allowed to leave. "Lady Danbury!"

"Delilah. If you wish to leave then you may do so, I do not have the energy to argue with you tonight." She stands with Lady Bridgerton as they watch Daphne and Simon dancing together, watching them with wide accomplished smiles on their faces. "They make a rather wondeful duo, do you not think?"

I look at the pair of them. Daphne looks rather happy, I cannot argue with that and my brother also dons a smile. But this does not make any sense to me, I know my brother shall never marry nor sire an heir and so I am sure that this act with Daphne is not of honest intention. I do not know what he wishes to do with her, whether he wishes to ruin her or destroy her dignity or play games with her but I know that she is my friend and that I do not wish for her to have to endure such. "They are a rather repulsive, actually." Both of the women are quick to turn their heads at my comment, Lady Danbury raising a single eyebrow and Lady Bridgerton tilting her head. "Daphne is the incomparable of the season, or so that Whistledown woman says. Why should she bother with such an awful rake of a man as my brother?"

"Reformed rakes make the very best husbands, my dear." Lady Bridgerton smiles at me. "That is something you should remember, dear Lady Delilah."

💗 Author's note 💗

Canny believe this book has hit 1k in a day! Absolutely buzzing! I really hope you guys are enjoying it as much as you enjoyed Benedict's.

Ruby x