Vaelum Art Contest

Varian was stood in a large chamber. There was a ring of light around the room which lit up the space and allowed him to see two women. Their features were hard to make out but Varian thought he knew who they were. Their words were muffled, but even though the boy moved closer, he couldn't get any nearer to them. Varian tried to call out to his mother and Donella, but no words left his mouth.
The women were working on something at a work bench.
Varian tried to listen but he couldn't make any words out. It was frustrating, being so close, yet so far from knowing what they were saying.
There was a flash of bright green that made Varian shield his eyes and he heard his mother yell for help. The boy tried to shout to her again but still, nothing. Donella was frantically trying to help the other woman as she sunk away into a green gateway. Varian tried and tried to run to them, yelling for his mother, yelling for Donella. Hoping one of them might hear him.

"Varian!" Yong was standing beside the boy with a look of concern and a lantern in hand to light the dark caravan. Varian lifted his head from the desk he had been leaning on, his breathing heavy. Hugo was watching from just behind Yong, hands behind his back and a curious look on his face.
"You were flailing around and talking in your sleep." Hugo told Varian, who tried to catch his breath.
"It was just a nightmare." Varian assured them.
"About your mom?" Yong asked and Varian nodded slowly.
"You know when I used to have nightmares, my mama would sing to me." Yong smiled.
"Yeah, you two have fun with that. I'm going back to bed." Hugo walked to his bed.
"I'm fine, Yong...but thanks." Varian laughed slightly, checking the clock on the wall which read five seventeen, "I'll probably just...work on my staff some more." Varian rummaged through bottles on the desk.
"Still haven't finished that thing?" Hugo asked from his bed with a haughty tone.
"I was a little preoccupied, what with the whole being kidnapped thing." Varian replied harshly.
"It was nice while it lasted." Hugo sighed and Varian glared at the back of his head as he laid in bed. Yong looked disheartened by the boys bickering and when he looked at Ruddiger, the raccoon shrugged. Olivia scuttered across Yong's shoulder and he looked to her.
She squeaked, which seemed to offend Ruddiger, because he growled and climbed Yong to reach the mouse.
The young boy fell to the ground with a thud and a groan as the raccoon threw himself at him. Ruddiger continued chasing Olivia down Yong's chest then leg and around the caravan.

Varian turned to see what the commotion was and watched Ruddiger chase the mechanical mouse, "Ruddiger! Ruddiger stop- leave her alone!" Varian took a commanding tone but Ruddiger didn't listen, "Bad raccoon! Bad!" Varian stood and grabbed Ruddiger as he ran past.
"Could you keep it down?" Hugo muttered and Olivia climbed onto the bed with the boy.
"If you kept your rat away from Ruddiger, there wouldn't be anything to keep down." Varian held the raccoon in his arms protectively and Hugo turned in his bed to look at the boy.
"She's a mouse- and she's tiny, what harm's she gonna do that oversized garbage-cat?"
Varian furrowed his eyebrows and Ruddiger chittered angrily,
"Keep her away from him, and I'll keep him away from her." Varian sat at the desk and placed Ruddiger down, petting his back.

By seven in the morning, Yong was complaining about being stuck in the caravan. Varian was more than glad when they arrived in a village in which they could stop. The boys left the caravan and Yong ran off before Varian could say a thing to him. The black-haired boy sighed and rubbed his temples. Hugo climbed out of the caravan and rested his arm on Varian's shoulder, yawning, "Wha'did I miss?"
"We're stopping here a while for some air." Varian moved away from Hugo and started to walk off.
"Where're you going?" Hugo called after him.
"Away from you!" He called back.

Varian wandered the village and noticed a large number of people painting, writing and crafting in an open barn-house. He watched two kids paint messily with their hands and smiled at the sight.
"Hello. Are you interested in entering the art competition?" A brunette girl with big brown eyes asked Varian, holding out a flier.
"Oh- no, sorry. I don't paint..." Varian gave a friendly laugh.
"You don't have to paint. You can create anything, as long as it's art." The girl waved the flier at Varian and he took it.
"What's your name?" The girl asked.
"Varian. What's yours?"
"Alice."
"It's nice to meet you, Alice." Varian smiled.
"It's nice to meet you too, Varian."
The girl blushed, "You'll need a partner to enter. It's meant to be a team building activity for the townspeople but we'd be happy to have you participate."
"Are you entering?" Varian asked with a smile and Alice went red.
"Y- Yes...I promised my friend Emma we could be partners."
"Good luck." Varian smiled.
"So, will you be entering?"
"I'll talk to my friend about it."
"You'd better not disappear and not come back!" The girl crossed her arms and Varian laughed.
"I won't- I'll be back with a partner."
"Promise?"
"Promise."