Chapter 8: On High Alert

On High Alert

~~~

It has been two years since the battle against Loki and the Chitauri in Manhattan. I have been keeping a close eye on the city that I used to call my home. People are still getting back to feeling safe, stores are only partially open, and buildings are being rebuild.

After staying with Clint for a few weeks after the battle, Natasha and I returned to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters in Washington, D.C. Natasha and I have been assisting in missions and luckily nothing like what happened in New York has occurred. Soon after Natasha and I arrived in D.C., Captain did too.

He wanted to stay close to S.H.I.E.L.D. and always wanted to help. To stay on the low, S.H.I.E.L.D assigned him to live in a small apartment. Nick told me that he had to make sure Steve's apartment was bugged. I was shocked when he told me, but I understood the reason, to keep Steve safe. Fury also made Agent Sharon Carter, but known to Steve as Kate, be Steve's neighbor so she can watch out for him. Kate has to pose as a nurse so Steve does not find out who she truly is.

When needed, Steve, Natasha, and I would go on missions together, but only when it was truly needed. It wasn't often that it happened, but it did. Now for my, what I can guess I can call powers, my healing process is still the same, of course only healing when I want to or when I can. My strength has not depleted either. Still the same as I was before.

Natasha's and I relationship has also grown a lot. We have a lot more freedom now as a couple then we did when we were together in the Red Room. We are not always that big on PDA, but we have our moments. I am just happy to have her back in my life again as my girlfriend.

Currently I am working on some paperwork at the desk in our room when I feel two hands placed on my shoulders. "I woke up in a cold bed," Natasha whispers in my ear.

"Had some work to do," I tell her as I turn to face her.

I smile as I see some slight tiredness still evident in the redhead's eyes. Some of her hair, which she has let grow over the past two years, sprawled across her face. "But I wanted to wake up with you," Natasha says as she walks around and then straddles me.

"You would of liked that, wouldn't you?" I ask her as she wraps her arms around my shoulders.

"Very much," Natasha tells me with a smile as I brush the hair off of her face.

I place my hands on her waist and lean up to connect our lips. Natasha sighs as she sinks into the kiss. She then places a hand in my hair when we hear a beeping. "Agent Devin, Agent Romanoff," I hear an automatic voice recording of Fury's voice through the communication system in our room, "Office immediately. New mission."

I groan quietly as Natasha and I pull away. "Wipe that frown off," Natasha says pecking my lips one last time before getting up, "I'm going to get ready since you already are. Do you think you can make me some tea?"