Forty One

"you want control because you can't imagine the reason, I'm with you is that i love you

"you want control because you can't imagine the reason, I'm with you is that i love you."
---

"Okay, class today I want you all to split up into partners and talk about the reading you did for homework. What did you think about the text, dialogue, everything?" Ms. Anderson said but I wasn't paying attention to her.

I was looking at the clock above the board for school to be over so I could go home and relax, take a shower to wash off all of the worries and memories of today.

I hear the seat next to me move making me look at who was there, and it was Kayden. He has been trying to talk to me and have me open up to him all day.

I have been ignoring him though because I don't want to think about it. I already have these voices in my head repeating the same words over and over. Replaying the crash over and over.

I am still thinking about this crash, this distant memory still can consume me and make me go crazy.

"Okay talk to me. What's wrong with you? Because your acting weird. Jumpy, jittery." Kayden demanded.

I look at Kayden. "Leave me alone Kayden."

"Are you thinking about the crash? Is that why you are trying to push me away? To deal with it yourself?" Kayden asked raising an eyebrow as if he knows what the hell is wrong with me. "If you keep pushing yourself away from the people that want to help you then your thoughts will be the only thing to consume you. You will be thinking about it daily, trust me I know." Kayden said with a knowing face.

"Kayden I just want this day to be over so I can go home." I sighed.

For the rest of the class, Kayden and I didn't talk but he just stared at the side of my face while I stare at the clock waiting for the bell to ring, and when it finally did, I jump out of my seat and leave the class.

I feel someone tug on my wrist, and I know it's Kayden because I love the way his touch feels on my skin. He is the only one who can make my stomach pool with butterflies when he touches me.

I look back at him and raise my eyebrow.

"Let me take you home." He stated.

"No Kayden. I am fine. I just have one more class."

"I said let me take you home Alexis," Kayden said in a demanding tone and I know for a fact he won't let this go. I sighed and rolled my eyes making Kayden pull me towards the exit of the school with him. When we get outside, we walk to his car, and he unlocks it and we get inside. "Where do you want to go?" Kayden asked me as he pulled out of the school parking lot.

"Home."

Kayden doesn't say anything after that. He just continues driving as the music on the radio plays. 'The song playing was 'New Person, Same Old Mistakes' by Tame Impala.

I lean my head on the window and look at all of the trees and houses passing by us. The gloomy weather made me think that it was going to rain soon. The clouds were gray and dark gray, and I couldn't see the sun anywhere or the beautiful blue sky.

The car stopped making me look in front of the car and see that we were at my house.

I get out of the car and Kayden cuts the engine before walking with me towards the front door.

I unlock the front door and leave it open for Kayden to walk in and I run straight upstairs towards my room. I sit on my bed at the same time I hear the front door close making me think that Kayden closed it. I hear him come upstairs and he walks through my doorway.

Kayden closes my room door, and he sits on the chair that was near my desk.

He just stares at me as I stare at him.

I don't know why he is still here. He dropped me off, now he can leave so I can go shower.

"Are you going to actually tell me what's going on?" Kayden asked.

"Why do I have to tell you?" I asked.

"As I said before, if you don't talk about it then it will consume you Alexis and then you will do something irrational. Trust me I would know." He said with that same guilty look in his eyes again.

"I haven't talked about it in a while. I am scared that it will all just come back and break me all over again." I said softly.

Kayden gets up from the chair and he comes to sit down next to me on the bed.

"Then I will put you back together."

"That's cheesy." I chuckled and so did Kayden. I let out a sigh before talking. "Two years ago on December 27th, I asked my parents to take us to the Hollywood sign. I have never seen it and I really wanted to go." I look down while talking. "My parents said we can go at night because we will be able to see all of the stars and city lights. My dad knew how much I loved the city." I then touch my mother's necklace. "I got into a fight with my mom before we went. It was about my clothing choice, but I never said sorry to her for giving her attitude." I let out another sigh before telling the part that hurt every time to think and talk about. "At first I didn't remember anything about the crash but a few months ago I had a dream and I remembered all of it. It all just came crashing down."

"It was when you woke up from a nightmare when I was here right?" Kayden and I nodded my head.

"We were on our way there and I remember my brother Jack showing me this video his friend took at the race tracks we had back at home. But then when I looked up, I saw a bright light coming towards our car-"

"DAD WATCH OUT!"

"-I don't think my dad saw it because he was looking at me in the rearview mirror, so I told him to watch out. That car didn't crash into us though, the drive shifted gears and tried so hard not to crash in our car, and he ended up hitting the wall nearby." Kayden doesn't say anything making me continue. "But then when my dad tried to control the wheel of his car, he wasn't paying attention to this other car that was coming straight towards us." I try to keep in the tears that were threatening to fall out. "But then that car crashed right in front of us and didn't stop.

"I'm scared Jack." I whimper as he held onto me.

"Don't worry Bambi, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. I promise." Jack said as he held me in his arms.

"The last thing I remember is my brother Jack whispering in my ear, saying that everything will be okay and that he wouldn't leave me." I stopped messing with my necklace. "Then I woke up in the hospital and that's the day I started wishing things to be better and to stop hurting."

I look up at Kayden and see him looking down. I saw the guilt and regret in his eyes again making me confused.

"What road were you on?" Kayden asked and I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

"Memorialized Road."

Kayden's jaw clenched and his whole body tensed. "Say that the road name again."

"Memorized Road," I stated and furrowed my eyebrows at Kayden.

Kayden let out a deep breath and he looked at me with guilt-filled within his eyes. "I didn't know."