forty-five

"Why are you here, Jesse?" I look over at Jesse as he sits on the ground, resting his back against the couch with his arms cross as we stare ahead at the screen of the TV which was the only light source coming from the room

He looks up from the TV screen and makes eye contact with me directly for the first time since the movie started. Once I turned on the movie, my father fell asleep leaving us here to watch the movie damn near in silence since my dad couldn't bother Jesse anymore.

"Well, you made it clear that you're not talking to me at school," he says back to me

"So you come into my house claiming that you and I are friends and working on an assignment together?." I ask

He raises an eyebrow and says, "Well would you rather I told them what we really are to each other?" he says back to me

I scoff and briefly look behind him making sure to lower my voice, "We aren't anything to each other." he leans back further and rolls his eyes, "There really isn't anything to tell. You had no right coming and ambushing me like this."

He shakes his head, "You call it an ambush, I call it an unannounced visit. A surprise would be more appropriate." he says as a grin begins to form on his lips further pushing my anger

"And you can say we aren't anything to each other, but we both know that's not how you feel."

"Who are you to tell me how I feel?" I mimic him and cross my arms, tilting my head a bit in question

He chuckles a bit and says, "Are you always this hostile or do you just enjoy being angry?"

"I'm not angry, Jesse."

"Alright then, are you always this defensive?"

"I am not defensive." I jerk my head back in annoyance looking at him with a squint in my eyes.

He whistles slightly and raises his hands in defense, "You could've fooled me." he laughs, "My bad."

I shake my head and turn my back to face the TV, not wanting to continue this conversation. Trying not to sneer at him as he chuckles at me from where he's sitting.

The movie continues and I grab the remote to check how much time is left before the movie finishes to see that there are another thirty minutes left and I'm irritated that I even have to sit here and watch this.

I'm pretty sure I remember how it ends. I mean, doesn't everyone? We all know Augustus is going to die at the end so I wasn't even planning on sitting here and putting myself through this emotional trauma again. But of course, Jesse had to be the mastermind he was and use this as a tactic to come here, sweet talk my parents, and--wait a minute.

Turning back towards him again, seeing his head looking at the movie in boredom I ask, "Why are you even dressed like that?" I ask and he turns back to look at me and looks down at his turtleneck, looking back up at me with a smile, "Isn't it obvious?" he raises an eyebrow.

I shake my head, telling him no and he sighs, turning around to look at my father is still asleep on the couch that he's leaning against and says, "That night at the daycare, you know before Cyrus came," he clears his throat, "I asked you why we never hung out at your place or anything and you said something along the lines of, 'Well, I can't bring home a tall, charming and excruciatingly sexy white boy with tattoos when I have African parents that will scrutinize you'" he finishes and my jaw drops at how high he made his voice trying to imitate me.

Sucking my teeth I say, "That's not exactly what I said."

He clicks his tongue and says, "No?" I shake my head biting back a smile, "Well that's what I heard."

"So you mean to tell me you changed up your whole appearance for one night, to impress my parents?" I ask in disbelief

"I only wanted you to know how serious I am. I meant what I told you in the school hallway that day, baby." my right eyebrow lifts at the name that I had never heard leave his lips for the short amount of time that I'd known him.

If he notices my confusion he doesn't make it known he just continues, "Besides, I think you can agree that I did a great job." He looks back at my dad and says, "Your dad and I are practically friends."

I scoff and say under my breath, "God, I hope not." and he laughs quietly turning to continue the movie as I'm left to stare at his side profile a bit more in thought.

Without looking away from the screen he says, "Why haven't I seen you at the daycare often?"

"What do you mean? I was just there today."

"I've been there before and someone said you switched around your schedule."

"Oh. Yeah. I've been doing some after school activities." I wave my hand in dismissal

He turns back to look at me and says, "What after school activities?" he asks first and then continues when a look flashes in his eyes, "And what were you doing after school with Meadow?"

"Maddow." I correct

"Whatever. What were you doing after school in his room?" he crosses his arms

"Grading?" I shrug, "Extra Credit."

"Did he tell the whole class about that?" he asks

"Well, how would you know? You barely show up." I try to deflect

"Answer the question, Karma."

"I don't know, Jesse." I say in a hushed whisper, "He brought it up to me, he asked me if I wanted to and I said yes. Why are you pressed?"

"I'm not pressed. I just want to know why he's got you hanging out alone in his room and you're the only one he's told about it."

"You don't even know if I'm the only one he's told."

"Neither do you!" he begins to raise his voice a bit and I have to shush him before he wakes up my dad

"Be quiet, will you." I seethe I turn back towards the TV seeing the credits begin to roll now that the movie is starting to end, pointing at it I say, "Go home, Jesse."

His nostrils flare as he looks at me with noticeable anger in his eyes and I just know he's upset. Standing up from his seat on the ground, he walks towards me as I'm sitting on the couch and looks down at me, not saying a word.

Shaking his head he walks past me and heads towards the front door as I sit frozen in my seat, not even accompanying him as he lets himself out. I hear the door slam shut and I'm left to sit and think.

Am I really the only student he could've asked out of all of his classes?

------------------------------

I don't know why it took so long to write this chapter but here it issss

See, when I first started the story I thought it would be done by chapter 50 but it literally is gonna end so much later than that at this point oof.

Thanks for reading!