ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

CHAPTER THIRTEENᴅᴇᴍᴏɴsᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴsᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

As I lay back, arms resting behind her head, the sound of rustling grass filled my ears. Somewhere, amongst the trees, Edward was taking his time to bring Bella up to the field where we would take part in another fighting session with the wolves. No doubt he was prolonging his time alone with her and shortening the time they'd be in our presence. Emmett and Jasper were wrestling, hands gripping each other's arms as they fought with near equal strength. Their play fights weren't often something anyone wanted to watch.

Alice wasn't much better either. Her face had turned sour as she scanned the field, drifting off into herself every few minutes. Even her lips tasted burnt, her kisses desperate, using them to distract herself. Now she sat beside me, calmer than before, but with a slight scowl still twisting her face. My eyes flicked toward her, where she was sitting up, leaning back against her outstretched arms, and then to Jasper and Emmett.

"Do you think they'll ever get bored of that?"

"It's unlikely," she said, her voice distant.

I shuffled until my head lay against her lap, and looked up at her. "Not even in a hundred years?"

She smiled, finally glancing down. "Not even then."

The wolves arrived close to the same time as Bella and Edward did as if Jacob could sense her presence. She was the middleman between us, a safety net. With her standing around, neither of our two groups would risk doing anything.

"Where are the rest of the wolves?" Bella asked, eyeing the taller of the three wolves at the front- Jacob.

"They don't all need to be here. One would do the job but Sam didn't trust us enough to just send Jacob, though Jacob was willing."

"Are those his usual wingmen?" I asked, and Edward made a face. "Quil and Embry?"

He nodded. "Yes."

Bella turned, peering up at Edward. "Jacob trusts you."

"He trusts us not to kill him. That's about it though."

"So what are we doing tonight?"

"Last time we demonstrated. Tonight we put it to practice," Jasper said, his arms folding across his chest, shoulders squaring.

Rosalie raised a perfect brow. "With the wolves?"

"It's the only way they'll know what to expect."

"What's wrong?" Alice asked as we made our way back to the house from the field.

I shrugged, looking to each of the Cullen members. They all seemed so calm and collected as if this was some normal family trip, where they were hunting animals rather than vampire newborns.