ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

CHAPTER ONEᴀᴅʀᴇɴᴀʟɪɴᴇ

CHAPTER ONE
ᴀᴅʀᴇɴᴀʟɪɴᴇ

Behind the wheel of a sportscar, Forks looked different. The tyres spun easily amongst the remnants of recent rains, drifting as if tied to rails. Cool, dry air whipped in through the open windows, scrubbing against soft skin howling through the tunnelled pathway that slid through to the back. The metallic green of the bonnet glinted naturally under the leafy glow of the trees, the hint of sunlight warm and refreshing behind it- the type of sun that reminded of winter mornings, though it was still late summer. Above, the spindly branches were reduced to blurs of willowy brown, warped by the insane speed of the car.

Air flooded harshly through my nose, brushing through empty lungs. It was this smell, so earthy and fresh, that I'd once believed had drawn me to the small town. It felt homely, familiar in a way that felt distant, like a point on a map, of which the mission was to reach. To each angle, the trees broke out for miles of unending forest, thickened by the trails of moss and dirt, sliced through by one single, desolate road, wide enough for a car and a few passing spaces. Years on from that initial moment, I still felt as if I was designed to blend in with the surroundings of the town, drifting amongst the woods like an element of it myself. Though perhaps now it came with a sense of tranquillity, of a natural desire to be present, rather than a strong disdain for the animal I'd once thought of myself.

I still don't know what took me to Forks, but for once in my life, I thanked the idea of destiny for bringing me here.

The dull, grey weather, much akin to that of my childhood, brought a sense of security, and the distinct lack of people for miles on end left days without worry. But it was the Cullens that left my wants complete. The car, some new brand of which I didn't know the name, with shiny paintwork and clean windows, was the first, obvious example. Alice bought me it as she promised herself she would. Yet in a way, through Alice, they'd become my own family, something I'd been missing for a hundred years.

The music crackled a bit as I turned a corner- the CD was far older than I'd like to admit. Fleetwood Mac soon played loudly from the speakers. A grin spread on my face. The 70s were good to me, thanks to the distinct lack of William for eleven years, and the fashion didn't hurt. I still had one of my jackets, the same one Alice had once mentioned in my first few weeks in Forks.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I sang along quietly. Perhaps one thing that hadn't changed was my discontent when it came to the topic of vanity. Even now it seemed like a very human quality, but unlike then, the realisation came not from my own deservedness but of a reflection of what surrounded me.

The Cullens' house stood proudly among the trees, a clean, glassy design that now seemed fitting for the family. The driveway was left empty despite it being early morning, the solar lights still twinkling along the side of the dirt path that ran alongside it, surrounded by bushy shrubs and perfumed flowers, planted by Esme. The garage was void of Jasper and Emmett's matching Jeeps, leaving no doubt that they'd used the dark night as an excuse to try out the heavy-duty tyres. But even still, that empty space was easily filled by Rosalie's slim body.