Chapter six

This was torture. 

Four hours. 

We had been going back and forth, visiting every shop in the centre. 

At first, I tried to convince the twins I didn't need anything. Ethan brushed me off and took everything in his path. 

I tried to return the items, but he threatened he would lock me up in the car if I put even one item away. So I decided to let him do his thing, and start a conversation with Aiden. 

In the beginning I was intimidated by him, he seemed not to care about me returning home. He proved me wrong. 

These small gestures like making me breakfast, asking why I ate so little or why I was limping indicated his alertness. 

If he didn't care, he wouldn't bother speaking to me right? I was intrigued by him, something deep inside me wanted to know everything about him. 

"He's really in his element, isn't he?" I nodded toward Ethan, who was stacking clothes in his arm. 

I noticed he knew exactly what I wanted, so I led him take whatever he thought was right for me. 

"Yeah, he's a bit of a fashion freak. Don't worry he will get everything you need," he answered me. 

This was the last shop in the centre. They bought me so much, too much. 

A phone, Laptop, clothes, and much more. Two hours ago we had to make a pit stop to the car because we couldn't carry any more bags. This family was loaded. 

"Hey can I ask you something?" Aiden looked me in the eye. 

I nodded, waiting for his question. 

"I heard you speak this language I didn't know, where did you learn it?" This took me by surprise. If I wanted him to open up to me, I had to tell him things about me. 

"Well, mom had a college who had a Dutch origin. Laura came over all the time with her daughter Ava, she was my best friend." I smiled at these happy memories. 

"Mom thought it would be cool if she learned us Dutch, so it could be our secret language because not many people in the USA can understand it." I explained. 

"I'm sorry you had to leave them behind." he sighed. 

My smile faded away. I hadn't seen or heard them after mom's death, Nick wouldn't let me. I wondered what had happened to them. 

I tried to change the subject by asking him which language they spoke yesterday evening. 

"It's Italian sorellina. Our father was Italian, he found it important to educate us his language." 

"Was?" I whispered back. 

"He died five years ago." was all he said. 

When the words left his mouth I felt grieve take over, I would never meet him. Isaac was my legal guardian, so it was kind of logical he wasn't in the picture anymore. 

I looked back in Aiden's eyes and saw his blank expression. I probably upset him with my stupid curiosity. 

I took his hand trying my best to reassure him. Panic overtook my body, my action probably overstepped a boundary. 

Before I could pull away, he squeezed it in response, not saying another word. Actions speak louder than words. 

Ethan came back with more bags and asked us if we were ready to go home.