Chapter 7

The quiet loll of the car eased my bubbling nerves a bit and glancing at Tommy, it had allowed his tiny body to ease into a comfortable sleep. Our drive to breakfast was quiet and comfortable, neither of us feeling the need to fill it with inconsequential topics. I found it rather amusing to have just met someone yet feel completely at ease around them. His charming grin and easy personality was a large contrast to Matt's conniving and devious one.

"We're here." I turned my attention from my thoughts and smiled at Kevin. He truly seemed genuine though, Matt had too in the beginning. I had to remind myself not to get attached. I couldn't afford to get distracted; Tommy was my main concern as was my goal to win the architecture internship. "Have you ever been here before?" I stared at the sign of the restaurant and giggled.

"Yes. I have to say, you definitely know how to pick a child friendly place." He chuckled and collected Tommy from the car.

"You're not a fan of McDonalds?" He asked shaking his head looking incredible amused and adorable. "I don't think we can be friends because I happen to love their burgers."

I shoved his shoulder lightly, "I am a huge fan, and my thighs are proof of that!"

"Is that so?" His steps slowed to a stop and his eyes roamed over my body starting from the top and working his way slowly down the length of my body, only stopping at my legs. His gaze lingered on my thighs and then slowly returned to my face, stopping briefly at the cleavage of my shirt. "I don't see anything wrong." He shrugged and opened the restaurant door.

I blushed and followed behind him. "You're awfully sweet."

"Just truthful. So what do want?" I grinned and recited my order to the man behind the counter. Kevin paid and we found a seat near a heater. Tommy stirred in his seat and began to whimper for food.

"I'm going to feed him while we wait, is that okay?" I asked digging in Tommy's bag for his food.

"Can I? It will give you time to eat your own food."

"What?" I sat dumbfounded and confused. "Why would you want to?"

He shrugged, "Why not? It will help you out." He reached for the small tub of food and uncapped it with ease. I numbly passed him the plastic orange spoon.

"Why do you always answer my questions with your own question?" I asked once our food arrived. I found my hashbrown and took a bite.

"Just do." He answered casually.

I snorted, "I guess I should be thrilled that wasn't a question huh?" His light chuckle sent a tingle through to my fingertips. "So I should probably clarify a few things with you." Kevin turned his head in question. "About Tommy," I continued. He nodded his head in understanding.

"What about him?" He asked. "Are you trying to tell me that Tommy is really yours and you have a boyfriend at home who is likely to kill me for treating you to breakfast, because I recall you telling me there was no boyfriend?" He teased with an amused smirk.

"Not exactly..." I sighed. "I didn't lie. Tommy is really my godson. I just didn't explain my situation clearly enough. You see, Tommy's mother was my best friend. She died about a month ago." I let my voice trail off while I tried to hold the tears at bay. Kevin's hand reached across the table and gently covered mine.

"I'm sorry," His hand squeezed mine softly and I found myself staring at our hands, secretly loving the warmth of his touch.

"Thank you," I whispered. "I found out three weeks ago that I was listed as Tommy's legal guardian."

"So you've taken responsibility to care for him? That's very admirable."

I shrugged, "I couldn't possibly leave him with anyone else."