xxii. the department of mysteries

ONCE THE SEVEN OF THEM HAD FLOWN TO LONDON VIA THESTRALS, they had managed to infiltrate the the ministry, and find their way to the department of mysteries

ONCE THE SEVEN OF THEM HAD FLOWN TO LONDON VIA THESTRALS, they had managed to infiltrate the the ministry, and find their way to the department of mysteries. "this is it." harry nodded, as they all began to slowly walk towards the blue door at the end of the dark, tiled corridor.

"lumos." everyone whispered, lighting up their wands to brighten up the room.

paris' jaw twitched at the sight of the endless rows and rows of crystal-balls. at least, she thought they were crystal balls. the rows of shelves seemed to go on for ages and ages, until the point when they weren't visible.

harry walked rapidly and breathlessly, searching the signs on each shelf. "ninety-two, ninety-three, ninety-four, ninety-five,"
his eyes scanned the floor exasperatedly, eyebrows turning down when there was no one on the ground. "he should be here."

    paris and the others looked around, searching for any sign of sirius, but remaining unsuccessful.

"harry?" neville called out, pointing at one of the balls. "it's got your name on it."

harry carefully reached out to grab it from the dusty shelf, the ball glowing a faint blue light.

        "the one with the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches." it spoke, in a harsh, strained voice. it sounded like professor trelwaney's. paris didn't take divination, but she knew of the teacher from all the talk around the school about her, and how she was off her nut. "and the dark lord shall mark him as his equal, but he shall have power the dark lord knows not... for neither can live while the other survives."

"harry!" paris shook his shoulder, as a dark figure wearing a mask began to approach the group slowly.

"where's sirius?" harry demanded.

"you know, you should really learn to tell the difference between dreams..." the man pulled out his wand from its case, and removed his mask, revealing himself to be lucius malfoy. "and reality."