TWENTY

Violet huffs as she climbs further through the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee

Violet huffs as she climbs further through the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. The slowly setting sun glares down at them as it pokes through the trees. Stefan is carrying the werewolf from yesterday, who is lying unconscious over his shoulders. Klaus has Elsie on his back, and Violet's thankful that she only has a backpack.

"You okay? Is Ray getting heavy?" Klaus asks

"I'm fine."

"You sure about that? You know, we've been walking for quite some time now. Even I'm getting a little tired holding Elsie here. If you need some water or a little sit-down..."

Stefan cuts him off, "You know, I get that we're, uh...we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat, it'd be great."

"So much brooding. Your self-loathing is suffocating you, my friend."

"Maybe it's 'cause I'm a little tired of hunting werewolves. We've been at it all summer."

"That's true. I'm tired of it too." Violet says, and Elsie nods her head.

"Same."

"Thanks to our pal Ray, we found ourselves a pack. There."

They stop, and Elsie gets off Klaus's back and stands next to Violet, both of them walking away. As much as Violet wants to stay and help the boys, she didn't want Elsie to get hurt or see what is happening. So, Violet took her a little further down.

They walk for a little while longer, eventually deciding to stop and sit down against some rocks near the river.

Violet reaches into her bag, handing a sandwich and granola bar to Elsie, and bringing out a bottle of blood for herself, "Oh fuck. I forgot the fruit."

Elsie just giggles, taking a bite out of her sandwich, "Good job."

"We won't stay out here for too long. It's going to get really dark, and cold soon. You know, I don't understand how it can be so hot during the day but so cold during the night. It makes no sense." Violet rambles, ''What do you think?"

"Violet?"

Violet turns her head, her eyes widening in shock seeing Elena and Alaric walking closer to them, "Oh my god." Violet groans quietly, "This cannot be happening. What are you guys doing here? Are you stupid?"

"Elena insisted. She wants to bring you and Stefan home." Alaric explains

"Elena you're a fucking idiot. Go home."

Elena cautiously walks closer to her, "Caroline is not doing well. She needs you."

Violet turns her head away, trying to hide the few stray tears falling down her face, "I'd love to come home. I really would. Unfortunately, Klaus exists and will kill me if I do."