Chapter 10

Normally, that awkward limbo between Christmas and the New Year is spent lazing around, sleeping off hangovers and binging on leftovers. But if you thought that the end of the year would bring a break along for the Clairmont-Diaz's, then you would stand corrected. It was only the day after Boxing day when the grand fir tree standing proud in the living room was taken down and preparations began. Preparations for what, you may ask? Well, on New Year's Eve a rather coveted party was being thrown for "The Influential Youth of Today", and with Clay, Niki and Floris doing the planning? Everyone knew that it was going to be good. The week passed in a frenzy of phone calls to suppliers, the Christmas attire the White House had so proudly worn for the previous month swapped out for decorations of silver and gold, celebrating the end of a year and the start of another, celebrating "The Influential Youth of Today".

It was the day before New Year's Eve, and Clay had managed to worm his way out of the iron grip of Niki's commandeering, only temporarily, of course, but it was admittedly a little bit of a relief to have a moment to himself. He pulled out his phone after grabbing a glass of water, swivelling mindlessly on one of the leather barstools to the kitchen counter.

royal pain in the ass

<attachment: 1 image>

Reckon you could make that smile any faker?

Clay couldn't help but chuckle under his breath. The constant digs at each other kept him on his feet at least. The attachment was one of the press photos from an interview, which he had expressed his... lack of interest into George multiple times prior to the event. He took a second to create a good comeback, before closing "messages'' only to open "instagram" and screenshotting George's latest post before returning to the conversation.

<attachment: screenshot>

reckon your fashion sense could be any more boring?

literally tho, I swear all you wear is dull colours and black suits

Well I'm sorry!! I have a reputation to uphold.

a reputation which would only be improved by some dress sense lolll

Whatever.

Maybe I'll try something a little more out there sometime, just for you.

i'm sure all your fans will go wild

And with that, Niki stormed into the kitchen, yanking his phone away and ordering him around with authority rivalling an army commander.

On the day of the party, it was only worse. Tensions were high as the time guests were arriving drew closer, tempers were short and the air was practically buzzing.

"Clay - come here," Niki shouted out and only a second later Clay rushed in, almost face-planting the door. He knew now was not the time to keep her waiting. "Here- take this," she shoved a couple of sheets of paper into his hands, "check through the guest list, make sure no-one's been missed off, nothing misspelt et cetera et cetera- you know what to do!"

"Yes ma'am!" Clay saluted with a shit-eating grin and Niki only rolled her eyes before hurrying away in a whirlwind of blond hair and ring binders. He followed each name with his finger, checking the spelling, any dietary requirements and on the whole, it looked fine until-

"Niki!!"

"What?" She shouted back with a huff of annoyance, echoing footsteps approaching.