chapter 15 - comfort

Ember's eyes opened, but quickly shut them as the sun shown in her eyes. She groaned, annoyed that the sun had the nerve to bother her today. She rubbed her eyes, trying to adjust to the bright light. She sat up in her bed, slowly unwrapping herself from the dark red, satin covers. She stood up, letting out a soft moan as she stretched out her muscles. She reached over to her closet, pulling out a beige bra top, a beige cardigan, a pair of black legging, and her favorite pair of white, heeled boots.

She took off her clothes slowly, not wanting to rip open any scars. She turned to look at herself in the mirror and saw the scars on her back. She gagged, and ran to throw up in the bathroom beside her. She rested her head on cabinet of the vanity, breathing deeply. She closed her eyes, wishing she could let the pain fade away. She stumbled up, grabbing her wand as she cast a concealment charm on her scars. Unfortunately for her, the charm didn't work, and she didn't notice. She continued to get ready, seeing as it was a Saturday, she grabbed a few books to take to the library. She climbed down the stairs, and and heard someone tapping their foot. She took her wand out and quietly stepped down the remaining stair just to meet her best friends. 

Lily jumped up and wrapped her arms tightly around her 'missing friend.' But soon after, Marlene stood up and slapped her friend across the face. "Ember Alice Holland, where in the bloody hell were you? Lil and I were worried sick? We even had to talk to the boys! Can you imagine our reaction when they said you were with JAMES BLOODY POTTER. YOU GIT, HOW COULD YOU NOT TELL US?" Ember was smiling brightly at her friends, she had missed them for the past day. She just wrapped her arms around both of them, whispering, "I missed you guys. I promise i'll tell you everything. But later okay? I haven't eaten in the past day, and i'm bloody starving." She removed herself from the hug, holding her hands out to the both of them. 

Marlene and Lily gave each other a blank glance but it wasn't long until they smiled, grateful to have their friend back, and slapped their hands into hers. Ember grinned at her best friends, strutting down to the great hall. The morning had been so great that she had forgotten about a certain group of mischievous boys. 

When they walked into the hall, four pairs of eyes immediately turned to them. The whole was staring at Ember with pity, except for Remus. But it wasn't because he wished that upon her, he just knew that hated sympathy, which is why she hadn't told anyone besides him. 

She had been staring blatantly in their direction, but she was soon snapped out of her daze by a catcall. "Oi Holland looking shaggable!" someone from the end of the Gryffindor table called. Her flirtatious side came out, as she yelled, "I'll meet you in a broom closet in 20 minutes!" She was joking of course, but nobody else had to know that, except for her long time friend, Fabian Prewett. She sat down with a smile on her face, while her friends along with the marauders, stared at her with open mouths. She gave them a confused glance, shrugging and saying, "what?" as she turned back to her plate.

* * * *

It was now Wednesday, and Ember, Lily, Sirius, and Remus were all heading to charms. Lily and Sirius were conversing in the back while Ember and Remus walked in front of them.

"So Evans, getting any closer to earning our galleons?" Sirius questioned the redhead. She turned back to Sirius, "No. But, I can tell they are getting closer. So far, we are still on track to win. Especially since Alice already lost. Alice bet on by November, and Peter's date is coming up." Sirius smirked, and threw his arm around Lily, looking down at her, "Well Evan's like I said earlier this year, We are the most unlikely team, but we are going to be unbeatable." Lily just stared at Ember.

Ember nudged Remus, smirking at the tall boy, "So Remus, still got your eye on the eldest of the Black brothers?" Remus smirked back at the girl, "Why of course Miss. Holland, paddy just can't resist all this." Ember genuinely smiled at the boy, happy he had finally found someone to love, "I'm really happy for you Rem, even if you guys aren't official." His eyes glazed over up, knowing no one would ever care about him the way Ember did. "I have to tell you something."

He grabbed her wrist, pulling her across the the corridor before spinning her around to face him. He grabbed the sides of her face, "Ember listen to me, what i'm about to tell you is something you can never tell anyone, got it." Tears were starting to fall from his eyes, a sense of urgency and pain in his tone. He let his hands leave her face, as he began to pace back forth shaking his head. Ember was starting to become worried for the boy, she grabbed his face with both of her hands, focusing his attention on her, "Rem, look at me, okay. Take a deep breath." She nodded for him to continue. Remus took a deep breath, "I'm a werewolf." Ember stared at him in pure disbelief, and Remus's face turned into one of regret as he began pacing again. 

Ember fell to the ground in an uncontrollable laughter at the situation. She had known about Remus's condition since first year. Remus whipped around to stare in shock at the hysterical girl. "Remus i-i've known abo-about t-that for a r-really long t-time" Ember said, still in hysterics. She began to control her breathing. She stood up from the floor, looking at Remus sitting against the wall with his face in his hands.

She realized her mistake and rushed over to his side. She lifted his head slowly by his chin, "Remus i'm so sorry, I didn't mean for it to come out like that, Forgive me?" "What reason do I have to not forgive you. Please don't laugh at me though." "Remus I was laughing because i've known since first year. And I would never tell a soul. In fact, I haven't for 7 straight years. Remus you are my goddamn platonic soulmate. I love you. And I would commit bloody murder for you. You are in love with Sirius Black. You fold your damn socks. Who even does that, they're just socks? I love you Remus John Lupin." Ember poured out her soul to Remus, she poured her everything into him, and he deserved every ounce of love. Remus and Ember were both sobbing, leaning on each other for emotional support. They had ended up missing charms, but nothing mattered at that moment in time. 

James watched fondly from the end of the corridor, watching as she comforted his best friend. Sirius watched behind him, watching his love and his best friend comfort each other under the worst circumstances.

a/n - ooh guyss, double update!!