12 ~ No Problem

Light burned against your eyelids, turning your vision pink. You groggily opened your eyes to look around, your body sore. What happened?

You were in the hospital wing. Again. You seemed to end up here more often than you would like. The towering windows let the dawn rain in warm light against the white linen beds, making it much more comfortable than usual. Again, you were alone, save for the odd bed in the corner with curtains drawn around it. This time, they were different. This time, there was blood on them.

Instantly, curiosity swept over you. You threw off the covers, hurrying over to the bed before anyone came in. Your head told you not to pry, but you recalled the events of the night prior as your head cleared and you began to wake up. Remus!

You tore open the curtains, looking in on the secret corner of the wing. Laying there, asleep, was your friend with his little white scars and fresh, red cuts all over.

"Remus!"

You went to touch him, hesitated, and then decided to do it anyways. You shook his shoulder, urging him to wake up. His body was limp, aimlessly rolling as you pushed him. You kept trying, repeating his name over and over until the chorus was interrupted by someone calling your own.

You turned, dropping Remus's shoulder. Pomfrey, McGonagall, and Dumbledore, just as the night before, were looking down at you. You felt yourself crumple into a ball, all bravery leaving you as the teachers stared you down.

"I'm sorry!" You cried instantly. Your head whipped between Remus and them as guilt flooded your system. "I saw blood- I didn't- I'm sorry!"

McGonagall shook her head slowly, her lips pursed before she spoke. "I suppose it doesn't matter any longer, Miss (L/n)."

That made it ten times worse. Your words seem to catch in your throat. You weren't a troublemaker, you were a good student, you wanted to do well no matter how fun you thought it would be to cause said trouble. You wanted to be good! But Remus was your friend, and he was bleeding! Who wouldn't have wondered?

"It's quite alright, (Y/n)," said Dumbledore as a soft smile crept up his face. "Would you like to talk? If you are uninjured, I feel it safe to let Minerva and Poppy return to their classes."

"Classes?" You asked. "What day is it?"

"We put yourself and Mister Lupin under a sleeping charm," Dumbledore explained as Pomfrey and McGonagall left the room, leaving only yourself, the headmaster, and your unconscious friend in the wing. "It's Tuesday, but I've excused you both. I feel this is more prominent in your life? After all, you did manage to find a hidden tunnel, shack, and find yourself in harms way twice because of this entire situation."

"I'm sorry, I really am!" You said as Dumbledore sat. You couldn't bring yourself to follow. You were shaking in your boots.

Dumbledore smiled wider. He chuckled, looking betwixt you and your friend. Then, for no apparent reason, he gazed thoughtfully out the window into the blazing horizon. Feeling obliged, you looked too, seeing nothing extraordinary except the painted sky as white clouds fluttered across a pink and orange background.

"I don't pin you as a problematic student, Miss (L/n)." He hummed. "You aren't like Remus's other friends. I assume you haven't heard about the catastrophe the night you went out?"

You looked over at the old wizard, who was still staring out the glass. "I- er, no. What happened?"

"James Potter and Sirius Black-" your mouth turned sour at the mention "-they set off dung bombs in the Great Hall. Rather convenient for your escapade, no?"

Your eyes widened in shock. "I had nothing to do with that, Headmaster, I promise!"

His pale eyes twinkled. "I believe you. Still, I am glad that it happened when it did. Mister Lupin has someone to speak with, now. One of his peers."