𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

The harsh pounding of my feet echoed in the empty hallways HQ. I would've gone out looking for my friends' squads but that would just take too long; it was better to just ask a commanding officer from HQ, but there was no one here. Where the hell was everyone.

My palms slapped on a pair of doors to where the supplies were, like extra tanks of gas and wires. The double doors slammed open and I saw a group of soldiers huddled together. Their heads were bent with a look of defeat.

"What's going on here?" They all silently looked up at me, their eyes widening at the cape on my back. "Do I need to fucking repeat myself? What the hell is going on here?" My voice dripped with malice as I stalked to a boy that was gaping at me.

"T-The General said to h-he was going beyond the walls."

"What? Why?! He's needed here-!"

"He said, he said he was needed on the other side-"

I cut him off. "Okay, okay. Whatever. Why are the doors locked? Other soldiers would have to come here to resupply their gas." The soldiers' young faces turned white. No one was replying to me.

"Goddammit! I said why are the doors locked! You can't just keep-"

"The titans are about to swarm here! We can't just let them come in here-"

"Then kill them! You can't let the others down because of your own selfish wants to live. You signed up for this, so do your fucking job!" They all stayed silent. Deciding that I had enough of this I turned around to leave, but a 5-meter titan was stalking our way.

"Shit." My hands flew to the doors and closed them. "Okay, barricade the doors!" They were all deathly quiet at seeing the titan, probably for the first time ever in their lives. "Now!" I snarled at them. They immediately got up to throw random shelves and whatnots at the door. It was a pretty shitty job, but it was the best thing we could do right now. I surveyed the room.

"Everyone upstairs." None of them had their gear on so the best thing right now was for them to sit this out till help came. There were only about ten of them here so I made them spread out in the big room I randomly picked. All the weapons they had to defend themselves was a boy's shotgun. Once everyone was situated I stalked to a window. 

There were four titans walking around the base of HQ at the moment, but I knew even more would come. I veered my eyes away from the titans and looked up. HQ was surrounded by many townhouses so I could easily maneuver on ODM gear to them to try to find Eren and the others like I originally planned.

All the cadets took their places under desks and tables, huddled all together in little packs. Some were praying while others got ready for their seemingly inevitable deaths.

"Where are you going?!" My hand was turning the knob to the door to exit the room. It was a girl that talked; her face was pale and her eyes were wide in confusion.

"To do my job," I say curtly and leave the room, slamming the door shut.

I walk towards the section of HQ where it would be easiest to get to the townhouses. I stopped at the end of the hallway and picked a random room, and luckily there was a window on the far wall. I opened it as quietly and quickly as I could then jumped out of it. I shot my grappling hooks to the side of a nearby building. They dug into the wooden frames of the roofs and my body propelled forward. I would've enjoyed this feeling of flying through the air if things currently weren't going to shit.

As I rose to my peak before launching my grappling hooks again, I nearly gasped at the view. Many buildings were lit on fire while others were smashed to rubble. I saw soldiers being smacked down or eaten by titans, while only a few were successfully killing them.