35. trusting

Mine, Raven and Murphy's eyes all swivelled toward the lieutenant, registering the words he was speaking. Had we all really just been tortured because he locked the missile system?

"Diyoza was freaked out about what she saw in the bunker." he explained, looking to us with the expectation that we would understand. "And after we opened fire, she knew we were at war. So if I didn't say you hacked the missile system, she would have ended it right then and there, and they'd all be dead."

I felt my heart drop at what he was saying...our friends were in danger.

"So you let them torture us for nothing." Murphy confirmed, distaste in his tone. 

"It wasn't for nothing." Raven muttered. "It was to save his own ass."

The lieutenant scoffed, pushing himself to his feet as he shook his head. 

"I'm sorry." Raven spat. "Were you looking for a 'thank you'? You let them do this to us because of what happens to you if they find out the truth!"

"Hold on." I announced, my eyes flickering between Raven and the lieutenant. "He did just save my life, so maybe we should at least hear him out." I looked directly to him, cocking a brow. "I mean, I am assuming you have a plan?"

He looked down at me, giving me a small nod. "Yeah. I tell them she came clean, then unlock the missiles."

My face fell as I stared back at him in disbelief. "You're joking right?"

"That plan sucks." Raven snapped. 

Murphy shrugged. "If the alternative is more torture, I think we should at least consider it."

"Consider it?" I demanded, looking over to him with a shocked expression. "Our friends are going to die the minute those missiles are unlocked. She'll use them, there's no doubt."

"Yeah, she will." the lieutenant confirmed. "There's an army from that bunker on their way here right now. Either I tell them you helped me get back in, or I say that I hacked it myself, but one of those options had the added benefit of you three staying alive."

I scoffed as Murphy looked up at the lieutenant. "Well, then, that's the option we choose."

I glared at him. "And just let everyone we care about die?"

He matched my expression. "Who do you care about, Avery? Bellamy? The guy you've barely been able to look at for the last week?"

I gritted my teeth. "Shut up, John."

"Enough." Raven ordered, giving us both disapproving looks before she focused her attention back on the lieutenant. 

"I saw you on the captains log." she revealed, slowly pushing herself to her feet and making her way toward him. "Diyoza kept you alive to fly the ship, but you're not one of them. That's why you lied about being locked out of the missiles, and that's why you're going to help us now."

"Trust me, Murphy." she assured. "You're going to like my plan more."

---

"Go over it again." The lieutenant, Shaw as I learned his name was, ordered. He was nervously pacing back and forth in front of us.

Raven looked to Murphy and I briefly. "You released Murphy," she began. "Avery and I will stay here and we'll take the blame for the missiles. Murphy will find the others, and get the warning to Bellamy. Hopefully, he'll be able to clear everyone out of harm's way, and then we can fire the missiles into the abandoned area."

Shaw paused, bringing his fist to his mouth as he nodded. "And if we get caught?"

"Then they probably kill Raven and I and do whatever the hell they want to you." I explained, adding a small smirk at the end.