Chapter 30

Rhys groaned and rolled onto his back. Anna was tossing and turning in her sleep and it kept him awake. He rolled onto his side and watched her. She moaned as she turned onto her side so that she was facing him. Her blonde hair was across her face. Rhys reached out and tucked her hair behind her ear. He let his hand rest on her cheek.

Hannah had the same blonde hair, but hers was much shorter. Hannah had been lying in his bed unconscious, just like Anna, as she was transforming. Her pale skin was littered with bruises and cuts from the rubble in the explosion. Her lip was busted from her fall when she was knocked off of her feet.

Between her injuries and the blood loss, Rhys did not think that Hannah was going to survive the transformation. When she did survive, he had hope for their future. That was all ruined when Hannah killed herself two weeks later. If he had fed her his blood that may have never happened.

Anna let out a whimper and her hand shot out. She hit Rhys in the chest. He slid his hand off her cheek, down her arm, and grabbed her wrist. Anna shook her head as she tried to pull her hand out of his grasp.

What was haunting her dreams? She had never acted like this in her sleep before. He wanted to pull her close to his chest and hold her, but he was afraid to wake her up.

He watched her as she slept uneasily.

--

Anna was sitting at the dock with her toes in the cold water. She stared out at the lake as the sun was setting. Her notebook was closed beside her and her pen was tucked behind her ear. Her hair was tied on the top of her head and beads of sweat ran down her neck. She had on a bathing suit and a pair of denim shorts.

She knew that Jonathan would be with the set of new recruits at the cottage. She escaped the chaos of training to write in peace by the water. She had not been training to kill vampires since her grandmother died.

Anna listened to the sound of footsteps walking down the dock. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the feeling of the sun radiating off her skin. She thought it was Jonathan walking behind her to make sure she was okay.

"What are you doing out here?"

Anna raised an eyebrow. It was not Jonathan's voice, but it was Rhys.

"I'm enjoying the quiet," Anna said.

"I know what you have been doing," Rhys said.

Anna opened up an eye. The sun was reflecting off of the water and the trees were blowing in the warm breeze.

"What are you talking about?" she asked.

"Nothing happens without me knowing," Rhys said.

Anna raised an eyebrow. Rhys reached down to pet the top of her head. He crouched behind her and brought his lips close to her ear.

"I'm going to kill you, Anna Nightingale," he said.

Anna looked behind her to see Rhys. He was smirking. His fangs protruded and blood coated the bottom of his face. The dark veins were popping out from around his eye sockets. He raised his hand to show that his fingers were gripping Jonathan's hair. His decapitated head was dangling in Rhys's grasp.

Anna opened her mouth and screamed.

--

Anna was in a cold sweat when she bolted up in the bed. Rhys pushed himself up so that he was resting on his elbow. Anna scurried across the bed so that she was away from Rhys. He reached over to the nightstand and turned on the lamp. A faint glow filled the room. Anna was clutching her chest as she watched his confused expression.