Ghost hunting (Haechan) Part ~ 1

"Everyone knows about the curse," Haechan said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"What's that?" Renjun asked. The boy had transferred to their school a few months back and was thus unfamiliar with the notorious stories of the school.

Haechan placed his chopsticks aside before leaning in across the lunch table for a dramatic flair. "It happened about thirty years ago," he addressed Renjun, his voice dropping to a low whisper. Y/N rolled her eyes. Haechan had told her this story last year with the same dramatic effect as now.

"There was a student that excelled at everything. Studies, sports, music, you name it. And he let all the praise get to his head. He became so arrogant that he started ignoring his friends, thinking he was too good for them.

"His friends did not like this new attitude. And to get revenge for being treated like trash, they sneaked into the teachers' office the night before an important exam. They stole the exam papers and the next morning they hid them in their former friend's bag."

Intrigued by Haechan's story, everyone on the table was leaning in. Jeno's chopsticks had paused in his mouth. Jaemin was playing with the food on his tray but his attention was on Haechan. Shotaro had put his chopsticks aside and had placed his head on his palms, a child-like wonder in his eyes.

"What happened to the student?" Renjun asked.

"He was expelled, of course. After the teacher found the exam papers with him, there's no way they'd let him stay." Haechan answered nonchalantly. "Because of the expulsion, he could not go to a university and ended up being unemployed. He took many loans from loan sharks and when he was unable to pay them back, the men killed him. Because of that, his spirit turned spiteful and his ghost still roams our halls, looking for revenge. On a rainy day, he attacks anyone wearing our school uniform, he thinks it's his old friends," Haechan finished spookily. "Of course, there is one way of surviving the meeting with the ghost. You have to offer him a friendship bracelet as a peace offering."

"Why only when it rains?" Jeno asked.

"The days on which he was framed and killed were both rainy days."

"Did he really become a ghost?" Shotaro asked, a nervous look on his face.

"There's no such thing as ghosts," Y/N answered before Haechan could.

"Of course there are," Haechan and Renjun said at the same time.

"Why hasn't your ghost attacked anyone, then?" Jaemin asked.

Haechan smirked. "You guys don't know what happened three years ago, do you?" He asked. When all of his audience shook their heads he continued, "there were students who either didn't believe in the student's ghost or wanted to challenge him. So, on a rainy day, they set out with a camera to find him. They went to his old classroom and waited for him to appear. After some time of waiting, the ghost's old desk fell on its own. The students got scared and started filming the classroom.

"One of them spoke up, 'is there someone here?' But there was no answer. 'Are you the student who was framed for stealing the exam papers?' Still, no answer. When the ghost showed no more signs of its presence, the students agreed to leave.

"The kids went home. The person who had been recording decided to go over the video before deleting it. In the video, he heard his own voice asking, 'is someone here?' He was shocked to hear a voice replying with 'yes.'" After yearning that, Renjun and Shotaro looked quite shocked themselves. "'Are you the student who was framed for stealing the exam papers?' His voice asked. 'Yes' came the reply again. Sometime later when the students said that they were leaving he heard the ghost's voice again. 'NO!'" He yelled at the end.

Shotaro and Renjun backed away and Renjun even shouted. Haechan was a ball of laughter. Y/N smiled, the only reason she had not been scared was that Haechan had told her the story before. That time she had shouted louder than Renjun.

"That almost sounds true," Jaemin commented.

"It is true," said Haechan. Then he started telling about another incident where students had encountered the ghost. Meanwhile, Renjun gave Y/N a look. She knew exactly what he meant and smirked.

"Why don't we try to catch the ghost, then?" Y/N suggested.

Renjun helped up his phone for all to see, "look, it's going to rain tonight."

"Let's do it," Jeno spoke up, excited.

"Hold on-" Haechan tried to interrupt but was cut-off.

"Does anyone have any ghost hunting equipment?" Renjun asked.

"We'd need a friendship band too. I'll bring it," Shotaro offered.

"You guys aren't serious," said Haechan. "Come on, don't go."

Renjun grinned at him, "you're coming with us, of course." It took a while but by the end of lunch, Haechan was eager to go with them.

Unbeknown to others, Renjun and Y/N had ideas of their own. They planned for everyone to split up in pairs when they go ghost hunting. Renjun and Y/N would pair up. Renjun would dress up as the ghost and Y/N would handle lights and other effects to make the situation as scary as possible. Their main target was Haechan and if someone else gets caught up in their prank... well, the more the merrier.

The students came back to school at sundown. "It sure looks like it will rain," Jeno commented, looking up at the thick dark clouds in the sky.

"Let's get inside," Jaemin suggested and all of them hurried to comply.

Once in the hallways, Shotaro pulled out bracelets as he had promised and one to each. They were made from tiny, colorful beads strung together. "Alright," Renjun said with a clap of his hands. "I think we should split up to cover more ground."

"What?" Haechan's eyebrows shot up.

"Yes. If all of us go together it will take up too much time," Y/N agreed with Renjun, of course. "The school is huge and we have to get back home too."

"There's six of us, so how about we go in pairs?" Renjun suggested.

"That works," said Y/N. "Then, I'll pair up with-"

"I'm pairing with Y/N," said Haechan quickly. He pinched Y/N's sleeve between his fingers as if claiming her for his own.

xxx

Soooo, it's been so long since I updated this book. Thank you for sticking around to read it!