26

"Remind me why are we doing this again?" Sarah asked, taking extra steps towards the redhead with her sword in hand, Clary was the first to let her sword clash Sarah's, "Because you want a place at the institute and I want my runes back

"Remind me why are we doing this again?" Sarah asked, taking extra steps towards the redhead with her sword in hand, Clary was the first to let her sword clash Sarah's, "Because you want a place at the institute and I want my runes back."

Sarah hummed thoughtfully, dodging the several launched attacks of Clary on her, "We're in a pickle, Clary." She remarked, going to attack her, which she barely dodged walking backward, "Don't you want to understand your powers, too?"

"No." Clary tried to attack the brunette again but Sarah was faster evading it with her sword, "Why? You kind of destroyed a demonic spell on your own."

"It's not as impressive as creating new runes," Sarah said before dodging the last of her attacks, "So how does it work? You think about what the rune does and you let your stele draw it."

"Pretty much, yeah." Clary said breathing heavily trying to dodge and evade every attack Sarah launched on her, "So if there was a rune than nobody have seen before, could you actually identify it?" She wondered.

Clary whirled around surprising the brunette with a counterattack that she quickly dodged, "You know, they appear like a vision, I don't choose and I don't get to ask." Clary answered before the brunette kicked her sword away.

"You need to work on your defense," Sarah remarked with a wink, taking a step back from the redhead as the inquisitor approached them.

Sarah stood beside Clary as Imogen handed her the stele, "Sun rune. Try again." Clary glanced at Sarah before opening her palm drawing the rune on it, but it didn't work

"So you've created new runes in the past, and now suddenly they don't work anymore." Imogen said with a skeptical frown on her face, looking warily at the redhead, Sarah scrunched up her nose not taking her eyes off of the older woman, "She's got no reason to lie."

"She is Valentine's daughter," Imogen interjected.

"I think we're done here," Sarah said with raised eyebrows glazing over the Inquisitor, she wasn't about to let the older woman walk all over Clary, true she isn't her sister anymore but she came to care for the redhead even if she doesn't say it.

"You're right. I am Valentine's daughter. But I am not my father. I know your son died while serving in the Circle. Valentine also took the person I loved more than anything. My mom."

"Your friend's right. We're done here." Imogen turned around heading for the door, Sarah sighed approaching the redhead whose eyes were cast down in disappointment, "Don't let her under your skin. You're not weak and you're nothing like Valentine."

"I know you're listening! Please, I'm not Valentine. I'm Magnus Bane." Sarah shook her head, clenching her jaw tightly, she had been standing there for a while now, Valentine couldn't see her but she could, she couldn't believe that the Shadowhunter would stoop too low.