Chapter 19: The Desert Palace

As Link entered the Desert Palace, he felt the same eerie feeling as when into the Forest Temple.

What are the Pendant of Courage and Pendant of Power even for?

It was just the same routine, clear the dungeon, defeat a boss monster, win a pendant.

Link wasn't sure how this helped him in saving Hyrule.

How even am I supposed to save Hyrule? Am I even supposed to? Am I the Hero for real?

The Hero's Spirit, the Great Deku Tree, and Zelda all seemed convinced that Link was the next hero

I guess I'm fine with all this, but what if I don't want to be a reincarnation of some Hylian Champion? All this responsibility has just been piled on top of me...

Link shrugged these thoughts off, and swiped at the Stalizalfos which were awaiting him in the palace.

"Yeah yeah" Link yawned "Just some skeletons, not too big of a deal

A Leever popped out of the ground, and Link fired an arrow at it.

"This ain't much fun" Link muttered "I hope Zelda's alright, with taking back Kara Kara Bazaar from the Yiga Clan and all"

Link knew Zelda was a good fighter, so she probably was managing.

Link was about to go in the next room, but Navi spoke to him

"I have a feeling something very powerful is in this next room" Navi warned

Hmmmmm Link thought What do I do...

"I know"

The Hero's Spirit appeared before Link

"Hey" Link exclaimed "Perfect Timing! Can you teach me a new move?"

"Yes" the Hero's Spirit replied "I will teach you the Spin Attack next. But first, I want to address your feelings. I sense you doubt our connection"

"I know...." Link replied "You were a brave knight back in your day, one of Hyrule's champions, but I'm just a nobody! I don't know if I am the I Hero of Hyrule"

"Listen up, Kid" the Hero's Spirit said "It seems like a lot at first, but you get used to it. And your tale will end tragically eventually, and then it's all over with.... I didn't even get married, or have a family, or anything"

"I feel bad for you" Link told the Hero's Spirit "It must feel even worse when you have to follow me around, and watch me enjoy things you were never able to experience"

"Trust me, I'm fine" the Hero's Spirit said "I failed to protect the Royal Family, so I deserve this. I don't even know how Zelda survived, I mean she was just a baby at the time"

"Yeah" Link replied "Now, the Spin Attack?"

"Yes, yes" the Hero's Spirit grumbled "Put your sword up in the air"

Link did as the Hero's Spirit said with his Knight's Broadsword

"Now, watch me"

The Hero's Spirit summoned all of his strength, and released it in the form of a spiral burst with his old moldy sword.

"Okay" Link smiled

Link did the same, and performed a perfect Spin Attack.

"Hopefully that will prepare you for the upcoming monsters" the Hero's Spirit finished, and he vanished

"Let's Go" Navi said

Link walked into the next room of the Desert Palace, which appeared to be the Boss Room.

Boss Room? Already? Whoever designed this dungeon must've been lazy.

Link readied his Knight's Shield and Knight's Broadsword, and the great desert worms, the Lanmolas, erupted from the sand.

"Try eating me, Lanmolas" Link taunted

One Lanmola erupted out of the ground, sending chunks of rock all over the place, and Link had to dodge them, and avoid taking damage.

"Aha!" Link caught one of the Lanmlas off guard, and sliced at its head

It screeched in pain, and slithered back into the sand.

A different Lanmola came toward Link, and he barraged it with Arrows and his Knight's Bow

The first Lanmola returned again for more, and Link finished it off.

"Hah!" Link gave the two remaining Lanmolas a look "That's how you two are about to end up"

Link chopped up the second Lanmola, and dodged some flying rocks with his shield that were sent out when the third one erupted from the ground

Time to end this

The Third Lanmola came charging towards Link, and Link stabbed with his Knight's Broadsword, lodging it into the Lanmola's forehead, and instantly killing it.

Link drew his sword out, and triumphantly stood over the dead Lanmolas, before they exploded into purple fume.

Link grabbed the Pendant of Power as it appeared, and stashed it in his bag.

"Hyah! I've overcome all of the challenges in this silly dungeon!"

Link turned around to exit the Desert Palace, when suddenly a black square-ish form with neon lines going through it appeared in midair, and it looked like some kind of portal.

This strange portal gave Link chills, chills he had also felt when he discovered the Zuna Village Massacre.

"W-Who's there?" Link called out to the portal

Several black squares came out of the portal, and formed a physical being that came to be standing right before Link.
This being gave off a creepy sense of twilight, and wore black robes with red plates, and had a creepy helmet with dark eyes on it and a creepy tongue.

"Who are you?" Link demanded

"Zant....." the being said in a funny voice "Usurper King Zant, a member of the Twili Species and a loyal agent of darkness"

"You're the one behind the Zuna Massacre!" Link realized "Are you behind the Yiga Clan, Agahnim, the Royal Massacre, and all that?"

"I am somewhat involved" Zant replied "But I am not the mastermind behind it all that you seek"

"Okay" Link said "What is your evil goal then?"

"My evil goal?" Zant said "My lord has given me Dark Magic which I have used to steal the throne of the Twilight Realm, and my dark plot is to release all of the twilight into Hyrule!"

Zant raised one of his robed arms and summoned a Shadow Beast, which lunged at Link.

"The Shadow Beasts were once normal Twili people" Zant explained "That was before I transformed them into monsters to fight for me"

Zant retreated into the Twilight portal, leaving the Shadow Beast and Link to fight.

"Hyah!" Link used his newly learned Spin Attack move to defeat the Shadow Beast.

Link began walking out of the Desert Palace.

I need to find Chief Urbosa and find where the gate to the Twilight Realm is.... We have to stop Zant from covering Hyrule in Twilight....