Chapter 77: Long Time Coming

Small extra chapter for you guys. Enjoy :)

Katya had never been so goddamn nervous before in her life. It was a shame they wouldn't get the day they had dreamed of, but maybe that was never meant for them anyway. 

This, right here, was in line with the past events of both their lives. It may not be perfect, but this was theirs.

''Stop bouncing, I need to fix your hair,'' Wanda warned, standing behind the brunette with her hands up in the brown locks. The witch had done her best to make something of it. Not too fancy but a bit neater than normal. 

Both of them were holed up in a backroom of the church. It was a beautiful church, small but maybe that concealed the fact that only five people were attending as guests. Only five people of the dozens they had wanted for this day. But when you were a wanted criminal, it was tricky calling and mailing people and invite them to fly to Russia.

Wanda had used some of her mind tricks on the keeper of the church so he'd allow them to use the building for a whole day. There were no flowers, no decorations, just whatever was already there and the rings and clothes they had managed to buy.

Katya trailed her fingers over the white fabric of her dress. It wasn't necessarily a wedding dress, but it was white and better than a cocktail dress. From the start, she had known she didn't want something too expressive or too dolled up. That wasn't her and would never be her. But she did like looking classy.

Her leg was a problem. It had been a couple weeks so the bone had been healed enough, but walking in heels wasn't a good idea yet. However, there was no way Katya wasn't going to wear anything other than heels on her wedding day. So she ignored the other's warnings and slipped them on anyway, keeping most of her weight on her good leg.

The choice for Russia had been easy. Even if both women had a difficult relationship with the country, they were born there and their lives had intertwined there. Because Russia didn't allow same-sex marriage, a pastor couldn't marry them and it wouldn't be official, but to Katya, it would feel like that. 

If they could ever go back into the States without getting killed at the border, they'd make it official. But for now, this would have to do.

There was a short knock on the door. Clint slowly opened it and peeked in, admiration on his face when his eyes landed on her. ''Are you ready? Because I have a very impatient redhead who will throw a tantrum if she can't see you soon.''

''We are very much ready,'' Wanda answered for her, nodding and stepping back to admire her handywork, smoothing out any wrinkles in the dress.

Clint looked at Katya and she nodded, the nerves flaring up. It was a good kind of nervous, excited nervous, ready to finally tie the knot.

Everything had to be organized last minute, since Clint and Scott would be leaving tomorrow to go back home. Secretary Ross had offered them plea-bargains that would put them on house arrest only instead of in a prison, allowing them to be with their families. 

Katya had understood their choices directly and didn't want to hear any of their apologies. Both of them had little kids who needed their fathers growing up. And although it was sad to see them go, especially Clint, she knew she'd see them again. Maybe sooner than they all thought.

''Ready,'' Katya said, straightening her back and mentally preparing for the next half hour. 

Countless years, every single thing she and Natasha had done, every path they had chosen, all led here, to this moment.