Chapter 10 - An Unwanted Guest

A/N: Trigger warning! There are mentions of harassment in this chapter. 

---

Returning to the castle was easier said than done. Asher had made the choice on a whim, but couldn't forget the fact that the beast was the one who had fired him in the first place. There was a very good chance that he wouldn't be happy to see the outspoken servant return.

After saddling up his horse, he debated on which entrance to use as he rode through the snow. Ultimately he decided to use the front when he arrived since he wasn't technically a servant anymore, and as usual the great doors swung open of their own accord.

"Hello?" He called, thinking it may be inappropriate to just waltz on in like usual. Since he wasn't invited, he hesitated on entering but refused to turn away now that he'd made the trip.

There was one other thing he noticed. It was oddly silent. He couldn't hear the voices in the walls like he usually did. This concerned him quite a bit and he took the chance and started heading further in, searching for the beast.

He listened for the sound of hooves on stone, or a growl, or a grunted swear word, but there was nothing.

What happened while he was away?

Growing more concerned, he started checking rooms, finding each one intact but empty. He came upon the ball room, dining hall, and eventually arrived at the creature's bedroom.

Cautiously, he knocked. Then he knocked again and when he still did not receive an answer, he muttered a quick "Pardon me" as he pushed the door open and found it empty.

Where the hell was he?

"What are you doing here?" That deep, gravelly voice asked, causing Asher to jump out of his skin as he tripped and fell flat on his ass. Shakily he got to his feet, bowing respectfully before speaking.

"I'm sorry your majesty, I know you fired me but I wanted to check on you. It's been weeks." He explained.

The creature did not seem angry. He looked more shocked if anything as he tilted his head and observed his ex-servant. The beast's clothes were tattered, per usual, but the front of the torn shirt was more open then before, and Asher couldn't help but notice one key detail in his monstrous appearance that he had chosen to overlook before.

His chest and torso were still human.

At first he had thought that maybe he just didn't have fur there, like how a dog's belly was sometimes bare, but no, here he could see that it was clearly human. The question was why, because that certainly didn't fit with the rest of his demonic looks.

"You wanted to check on me?" The beast repeated quietly, his voice dropping.

"Yes sire."

He turned and glanced down the hall before stepping inside, the doors swiftly closing behind him. "You have to hide."

"Sire?"

"HIDE!" The Prince half growled, half whispered, then hurried over to his wardrobe and pointed. "Hurry! Now!"

The sound of approaching footsteps helped Asher realize that the beast was not alone after all, and quickly did as he was ordered. Diving between the cloaks, Prince Leon shut him inside, leaving nothing more than a thin crack for Asher to peek out from.

He heard the door to the bedroom open and someone entered the room, revealing a young woman in a sparkling sky blue dress with light blond hair tied up in a braided ponytail. Her lips were bright red, and she had on thick eyeliner. The dress she wore had a V neck that expose a little too much of her chest as she stepped into the room confidently.