Chapter 52 - I had to go on without him too

It's easy to laugh at others, much harder to laugh at ourselves. But it's more rewarding. it lightens out lives. It brightens others' lives. It built self-confidence and self-worth. It endears us to others. And life is too short to take it too seriously.

- Unknown

It took me another week to fully master the invisibility spell. I usually managed to grasp spells quite quickly, but this one had been a struggle. At last, though, I could perform it decently. I wondered why I had never gotten around to learning it before, as it was quite a handy spell. A simple "Revelio" could undo it, but then they'd have to notice first.

As soon as I deemed my skills adequate, I started keeping a closer eye on Draco. We hadn't talked at all in the past few days, as I barely saw him. He didn't show up for patrol and even skipped a class. I forced myself not to worry. I had to draw the line at some point.

"I'm headed to the library to finish that Potions essay", I told Daphne and Tracey as we walked out of the Charms classroom. It was a lie, as I had finished that essay ages ago, but I had to. I had noticed Draco's gesture to Crabbe and Goyle, so I knew what he was up to. It was time to find out what he didn't want to tell me.

"See you at supper", Tracey shrugged.

I made sure I blended into the mass of students as I walked out, following Draco and the two goons. I quickly slipped into a storage room to perform the spell and take off my shoes. Although the spell made me invisible, it didn't mask sound and performing a Silencio spell on a person was way too risky, especially if that person was yourself.

I checked the hallway and slipped out when no one was around. Sure they couldn't see me, but a door opening and closing without a person in proximity was suspicious, even at Hogwarts.

Since I knew where they were headed, I had quickly caught up with them. Luckily the Charms classroom was already on the third floor, meaning that I had to take half the amount of stairs I endured last time. In a few minutes, we reached the peculiar empty wall that would soon turn into a door.

I had to act quickly, I had to slip in with Draco, without making a sound. The best thing about the invisibility spell was that it didn't matter if I touched him, he wouldn't feel it. The disillusionment charm only disguises the target in its surroundings, still touchable, but the invisibility spell just made me ... gone. Unfortunately it didn't allow me to pass through walls, which would have been exceptionally useful.

It was weird. I could feel everything, such as the ground beneath my feet, but when I looked down, there was nothing. I could touch things, like the wand in my hand, yet someone could punch straight through me and I wouldn't feel a thing. I loved magic.

I approached them slowly, but they seemed to not be in a hurry.

"Go ahead, no one is around", Draco said, scanning the hallway. It was weird to stand there and see him looking right through me. Just now I noticed the flasks in Crabbe and Goyle's hands. They both shrugged and drank whatever liquid was inside.

I had never seen the effect of a Polyjuice Potion before, but immediately as I saw what was happening, Granger's words rang in my head. That one is Polyjuice Potion, a potion that allows the drinker to assume the form of someone else. It's terribly tricky to make. How had Draco gotten his hands on that potion?

In mere moments, Crabbe and Goyle had turned into two young Slytherin girls and I had to hold my breath not to chuckle at the sight. But soon, Draco started pacing in front of the door again and I knew I had to focus.