Chapter 44 | A Warrior does not waver

Still (Y/N)'s POV
"Angel! No!" I roared, immediately and simultaneously sheathing my sword and drawing Hoodie's pistol before firing a bunch of shots to both draw attention to me and to hopefully take a few of them out.
"You got distracted" the Sniper said, lunging at me and striking me across the jaw with the butt of his gun as I turned back to him, surprising me and making me drop Hoodie's gun far away. "I guess the only thing that really has changed is your height" he added smugly, raising the gun above his head before bringing it back down whilst I recovered from the previous blow. Luckily, I reacted fast enough and caught the stock in my palm. I quickly stood back up and went to punch this Sniper across the jaw, however he quickly took a step back and leaned past my punch. He let out a quiet and cocky "heh", giving me the impression that I could use his cockiness to my advantage. When he evaded my punch, I watched him swap stances and point his Barrett at my stomach from his hip. As he gripped the charging handle I took a quick step forward and kicked his hand, forcing him to half-rack the rifle. I forced more pressure on that foot as I felt him try to drive his hand forward, but I was able to overpower him and keep it in place. Knowing I was in a good position, I quickly jumped up whilst using my adversary's hand as 'platform'. He followed me cautiously with his eyes, most likely trying to anticipate my attack. Noticing this, I quickly swung my 'unused' foot around and landed a solid kick on his jaw.

"Fuck!" He exclaimed in anger. "You little shit!" He yelled in a tone that was oddly familiar, his annoyance punctuated by the death cries that came from what I assumed to be the enemies around the mansion. "I'll teach you to hit m-" he stopped mid sentence as he pulled the trigger, only for nothing to happen other than a loud echoing click. I could just about see his eyes widen in surprise through his tinted goggles, making me smirk a little.
"You got distracted" I mocked, holding up his magazine and shaking it a little. I took another peek over my shoulder to see how much, if any, time I had to spare. To both my relief and disappointment I watched as a Jess, Jane, Jill and Tami were now covering Angel and mowing down a lot of the hostiles as Ann was seemingly helping her retreat back behind the others, most likely to treat her safely. As I turned back I saw the Sniper charging at me, holding his gun like a baseball bat by the barrel. He swung with immense force so I instinctively ducked down, only to catch a knee to my nose. I grunted in pain and stumbled back, feeling the branch that we were on waver heavily as I neared its edge. I held my nose in pain with my bandaged hand as I locked eyes with my foe. We both stood motionless, only swaying ever so slightly as the wind rocked the tree's branches.

"You need to end this... now" Nightmare ordered, but at the same time making it sound like advice. I didn't respond however, since I was feeling somewhat excited to have a real one-on-one challenge. I let go of my nose and pocketed the magazine, shifting myself into as best a stance I could despite being on the thinning end of the branch. "Kid! You seriously need to finish this! Now!" Nightmare continued, his voice full of something akin to both anxiety and rage.
"Heh... heheheheheh..." the Sniper let out some low laughs, laughs that were almost psychotic in nature.
'Crazy bastard...' I thought, genuinely disturbed by whatever vibe this guy was giving off.
"Well you would know" Nightmare mumbled at the comparison.
"My, my..." he said, the wind now blowing a stench of whiskey and cigarettes towards me. "Well maybe I was wrong about nothing changing..." he added, reaching for his face covering.
'The hell is he-' I was interrupted by my body suddenly lurching forward, my fist uncontrollably punching him across the jaw and knocking his protective cover off of his lower face and leaving it to dangle at the side of his jaw. As his face was seemingly revealed, I didn't get the chance to get a good look before I felt my body dart forward once more and spin kick the Sniper across the temple.
"Just fucking kill him already!" Nightmare roared furiously, taking almost full control of my body and yet leaving my soul untouched.