Queen [0043]

"What's going on?" Claire asked, seeing her friend and twin sister's serious expression

"What's going on?" Claire asked, seeing her friend and twin sister's serious expression. She knew something was up and it wasn't good.

Alaric gripped the steering wheel as Carolina looked out the window, holding in her tears. "I don't know what to tell you, Claire. Stefan-" Alaric began, his voice wavered a bit on her husband's name. "Stefan he, um, he made a decision."

And those words hit Claire hard, she felt her eyes burning with tears as she slowly nodded, tilting her head back as she closed her eyes. She swallowed down a sob and wiped her eyes free of tears. Both Caroline and Alaric stayed quiet, once again they both felt bad for the young mother. Why in god's name did she have to always get hurt. When was she going to be happy for once?

"S-stop the car," she said, wiping away tears that fell from her eyes. "Please Alaric, stop the damn car!"

Claire didn't wait for Alaric to pull over, she rushed out of the car and quickly dialed her husband's phone number. Her heart sank when his voice-mail went through, she clicked and then called again and again. Claire didn't stop until her husband answered his phone, but after the fifth try, she knew he wasn't going to answer.

"Hi this is Stefan leave your number but if this is Claire or the kids I love you and I'll see you soon." Those words were enough to beat Claire down to her knees.

"Stefan, babe please call me as soon as you get this," there was a small paused before she continued. "I know why you're doing this and I'm pretty sure you'll feel epic after it but I preferred you didn't have to," her tone was kind, even understanding, yet it tore a sob from deep in her lungs.

"I should have taken your offering," she let out a broken laugh. "I should have packed up and left with you and the kids. Gosh, I'm so stupid," she took a deep breath, her minds were all over the place and she couldn't get the right words out. If this was going to be the last time her husband was going to her hear words, then she was going to make the best of them.

"I love you, Stefan," her lip quivered and she closed her eyes for a bride second, the eyes that were sad and filled with pain were now determined and honest. "Just know that I will always love you. Thank you for being the best father to our kids. I'll make sure to remind Theo and Lottie about how much you loved them. Theo will forever be your best man and Lottie will always be your little princess."

Claire stopped talking, it was getting harder to think. Taking a deep breath, she continued. "We'll be okay. So you can go. I love you, Stefan," her hold on the cell-phone wasn't stable, her hand shook, and from her blue eyes came a thicker flow of tears than she had cried for baby's father when he had left.

Claire stood kneeling on the ground and mourned for her husband, she had to do this before facing her children and let them know that their papa Stefan wasn't coming home. She had to be strong and stable to comfort them. So she broke down before watching her kids do the same.