ch. 11

walker in the well

   "hey little man, how are you feeling?" i asked carl who had just awoken, looking up at me.

   "good, where's my mom and dad?" he questioned, watching as i checked his pulse.

   "i'm not sure, they'll probably come check on you soon." i assured him, grabbing my notebook and pen to write down his stats.

   "dad told me you and hershel saved me"

   i stopped writing to look at him, his words causing me to smile. i closed my book, taking a seat in the edge of his bed.

   "you know what i think?" i asked, causing him to raise his eyebrows, "what?"

   "i think it was all you." i started, earning a questioning look from him, "you're the one who decided to pull through, right? me and hershel were just guiding you"

   he smiled, "really?"

   i nodded, "i believe you're tougher than your dad."

   we both quickly turned our heads to the window, not finishing our small talk when hearing commotion.

   i held up my finger, warning him to give me a minute as i stood up walking to window, seeing what was going on.

   my eyes widened, seeing shane and lori strapping up glenn near the well. "carl, i'll be right back" i stated, running out of the room and down the steps, making my way outside.

   "hey, we're gonna get you out of here in one piece" shane assured, tightening the rope around glenns waist as i neared, no one noticing me.

   "living piece. that living part is important" glenn mumbled, taking the flash light from off the ground.

    "what the hell are you doing?!" i yelled, darting to where they were, all eyes turned to me in shock.

   glenn looked up at me, scratching his head, "there's a walker in the well, they needed live bait"

   my blood boiled, turning to where shane stood. "you're kidding right?" i asked, my voice shaking from anger.

   "look melanie, glenns gonna be fine. he's strapped in tight" shane pleaded, only making me more frustrated.

   "gonna be fine my ass." i sneered, looking between the shane and glenn. "melanie, it's okay. i volunteered"

   my mouth opened in amazement, letting out a huff as i crossed my arms over my chest. "fine, let's see how this plays out."

   "oh, you people are crazy." maggie uttered, also watching them lower him down from afar.

   "you want to get it out of your well or not?" shane asked, grabbing onto the rope that was tied to a metal post.

   "give us an eye there, melanie" dale instructed, causing me to hesitate before walking to the edge of the well.

   "you okay?" i questioned, kneeling to see him fully, "yep, doing great. living the dream" he replied sarcastically, me knowing damn well he was probably having a panic attack.