Chapter 17

*Step by step. Day by day*

*Steves Pov*

It had been a long day. After I had finished speaking to Fury, I went to the museum. I enjoyed going there, because It comforted me, knowing we won the war. Also reading the information on what I had missed while I was under the ice. I also went to visit Peggy. She had dementia, so everytime I would leave, she would forget I had even been around, I just wanted to let her know I was alive. It made her happy for the amount of times she remembered.

"Steve?" She said, tearing up; looking at me like she was seeing me for the first time since I was frozen.
"Yeah."
"You're alive! You....you came, you came back!" She cheered, but barely a whisper.
"Yeah peggy."
Peggy began to cry, happily of course. However, it was still hard for me, seeing the one who is the love of my life, look up to me each time, forgetting the times I visited before. But I done my best, to keep my peggy happy.

I told her about all the Avengers, I told her about Leah mainly, since I was the closest to Leah. She was happy for me, and I didn't mind telling her my stories again.
"It's been so long. So long," she said, placing her hand on my cheek, rubbing her thumb back and forth.

"Well I couldn't leave my best girl. Not when she owes me a dance."

* * *

I also visit Sam, a new friend of mine. We talked for a while before I went to head home, can't be late otherwise Leah would kill me. Funny that one is. Don't know what I done to deserve a friend like her. Tony should of treated her better, because he is bloody lucky she actually stayed with him in their house for that long. Leah deserves a better friend, I guess that's why I'm here.

The few months living with her has probobly been the best few months of my life. Tip: definitely move in with your closest friends, it's worth it 100%.

As I was walking to my apartment, I hear my neighbour on the phone, as she walks out to go do her laundry.
She turns to me,"My aunt, she's kind of an insomniac."
I smile, getting a bit nervous,"Hey, if you want.....if you want, you're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement..." I offered.
"Oh yeah? What's its cost?" She teased.
"A cup of coffee?"

"Thankyou, but you don't really want my scrubs in your machine. Just finished orientation in the infectious disease ward."
"Ah, well I'll keep my distance!" I joked, and she laughed.
"Well hopefully not to far-" she says, and I turn to go into my apartment.
"Oh, and I think you left your stereo on."
"Oh. Right, thankyou."
"Yeah."
I watch her go downstairs before she was out of sight. I turn around to my apartment door in suspicion.

1.Leah doesn't listen to the stereo...unless it's me that's listening to it.
2. She never answered my texts when I said I'm on my way home....suspicious again.
I was getting worried that something had happened to her, she is normally capable of taking people down. I know she is. So something seriously bad must of happened.

I hear music as I cautiously enter my apartment through the window. I grab for my shield for protection and I find Fury sitting on the couch in the dark.
"I don't remember giving you a key, where is Leah?" I ask seriously, focusing on where she is before asking why he is here.
"I'm here, it's okay," I familiar voice said, while placing a hand on my arm. She leans on the wall next to where Fury was sitting, drinking some coffee that she had made herself.

"You really think I need a key? My wife kicked me out," Fury stated.
"Didn't know you were married."
"A lot of things you don't know about me," he reassured.
"I know, Nick. That's the problem." As I turn the light on, I notice Fury's injuries for the first time. However, he indicates for him to be silent, and Leah turns the light off.

Fury writes something on his phone and shows it to Leah and I, 'Ears Everywhere', it said.
"I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." He writes another message showing me and Leah again, 'S.H.I.E.L.D compromised'.
Leah nodded and asked,"Who else knows about your wife?"
"Just.....my friends." He shows another text: 'You, Steve and me'.
"Is that what we are?" I asked.
"Thats up to you," Fury answered.

Suddenly, Fury was shot 3 times from through the wall and collapses. I drag Leah's arm behind me, and look out the window for the shooter. Me and Leah quickly drag Fury to the next room, before I leave, Fury hands me his flash drive.
"Dont trust anyone." Thats the last thing he said before he passed out.

I hear someone break into my apartment, and Leah ready's her gun, pointing to the doors direction.
"Captain Rogers?" I hear a familiar voice say, walking in with her gun pointed. Leah looks at me confused, then looks back at the woman, her gun still raised.
"Agent Harper, Capatin, I'm agent 13 of S.H.I.E.L.D special service," she finished.
"Kate?" Leah asks.
"I'm assigned to protect you both."
"On whose orders!" Leah shouts in a whisper. Kate looks at the ground, noticing Fury lying injured on the ground.

"His." She contacts S.H.I.E.L.D through her radio: "Foxtrot is down, he's unresponsive. I need EMTs."
"Do you have twenty on the shooter?" An agent called back.
Leah takes a step towards the window, and we both notice the shooter through the window.

"Tell him we are in pursuit," Leah orders Kate....I mean Agent 13.
I smash through the window, leah straight behind me, running after the assassin, who has medium length, brown hair, with a silver and black suit on: a mask also covering is face, only showing his eyes and forehead.

Me and Leah chase him through an office building, smashing through walls, when we finally catch up with him on the roof. I throw my shield at him, but he catches it with one swift move. Leah's eyes widened, in shock and the assassin throws the shield back at me. Leah runs towards him, but he jumps down the building and disappears. Leah stands, looking down, standing still, while her hair flows slowly through the wind. She turns back at me and walks straight past me, making her way back to our apartment.

Word Count: 1125
Kiwi ~🥝