14

AN: Don't hate me.

The school year had ended and it was the middle of the summer. It had been months since Jenna died and it had been months since she had seen Elijah.

        In that time, she had gotten rather close to Damon. Since Jenna passed, Damon was the only friend she had.

         She'd often spend nights at the Salvatore Boarding House (that was absent one Salvatore; apparently, Stefan left) or he would spend nights at her house. They had gotten pretty inseparable. That was mostly to do with the fact that neither of them wanted to be alone; being alone only reminded them of what they had lost.

_______

           It was a sunny day in July but this day was her birthday. Once she got ready for the day, a knock came from her door.

            She opened it to be surprised by a "Happy Birthday!" from Elena and Jeremy. She smiled at them and pulled them into a hug, "Guys, this is rather sweet of you."

             She let them come inside and Jeremy spoke as the siblings walked inside, "Well, since Je...ow."

        Elena had elbowed him and gave him death glare before holding up a cake, "We made you a cake."

         "By made she means bought," Jeremy commented.

           "Well, I still appreciate it," she looked at Jeremy sternly as she took the cake from Elena and set it on the counter.

           "Do you have plans today?" Elena asked as Jenny opened the cake to cut it; she could never resist chocolate.

            "Damon's taking me somewhere for a surprise," Jenny answered before she shook her head. "But I'm guessing somewhere means a bar knowing him."

"Ew. You two aren't dating, are you?" Jeremy asked as took the plate of a cake slice she offered him.

"Oh god no," Jenny answered in horror. "We're only friends."

______

Later that day, and like Jenny predicted, Damon had taken her to a bar outside Mystic Falls. Ever since her near death from her student, her reputation had to be perfect.

She found it odd how everyone in town used to talk so positively about her. Now, like she was tainted somehow, they were just waiting for her to fail.

"You're really trying to get me in trouble, aren't you?" she looked at Damon as they sat at the bar.

"No," he put an arm around her shoulders and she leaned into him. "I'm just trying to get you to relax, hoping that you'll smile."

She looked up at him. It was true she hadn't smiled a whole lot. It had only been two months since her best friend died and Jenny didn't feel the same. Lost, was how she felt.

So when shots were placed down in front of them, she took one and quickly swallowed the liquid inside.

____

"Yes!" Jenny threw her hands up in the air once the eight ball landed in the correct pocket. They were playing pool and she was kicking Damon's ass.

Or, perhaps, something she didn't think about because she wasn't thinking at all was that he let her win. Either way, she had a bright smile on her face even if it was a bit dazed.

"You suck at this," she approached Damon and took a shot waiting on the table next to them before handing it to him. "Drink."

They had a game. Each time someone missed a shot or lost the game, they had to drink a shot. But even though she was winning, she found herself drinking anyways.