.•twelve•.

"are your eyes sore?" donghyuck whispered softly, shifting onto his side to face the now calm boy beside him

"are your eyes sore?" donghyuck whispered softly, shifting onto his side to face the now calm boy beside him. "sleepy?"

"i sense procrastination," renjun smiled faintly. "i still want some answers....i want to know what is up with you. this whole thing hasn't felt like a victory at all....why are you so peaceful?"

"i'm nervous."

"nervous?"

"mhm. which is pretty foreign to me, to be honest. you never used to make me anxious....but i suppose things can evolve and change."

"donghyuck, i didn't want to believe it when i first thought of it....but did you really start those rumours? when i told you, possibly in the meanest way possible, that we'd never be together....did that strike enough anger in you to essentially derail my reputation?"

"god, no it wasn't me. i sort of knew you'd come to a conclusion like that, but i also figured you wouldn't hear me out if i attempted any explanation. i promise you, i didn't start those lies."

"well, then who did? who could possibly hate me that much when i'm of no substantial threat?"

"um.....i know who did it," he trailed off and started looking to the ceiling as if it held all the answers. "but i'd rather they remained nameless for the sake of a protecting the ivory class."

"what? hyuck, you have to tell me-"

"aaaw, you called me 'hyuck'," he sent the older heart-eyes. "but no, i refuse to betray my class that way. i can tell you why they did it, though."

renjun reluctantly kept quiet, feeling that any answer was better than nothing at all. the honourable thing to do was exactly what donghyuck was doing; keeping his classmates safe. but he also hated that this person openly liked him, yet wouldn't share the secret. "go on."

"it was one of my little...quests, i suppose."

"a guy you slept with?"

"yeah. there were many occasions wherein you ruined his nights with me, and he came to me quite proudly to claim that he started those rumours. i'm not defending his actions, and i'll have you know i scolded him. i'm sorry this happened...."

he's being so sincere, the brunette thought, shifting onto his side as well to face the blonde with equal sincerity. he was irritated by this news, of course, but he also knew where to draw the line in the sand. there was no point in further pushing this...it just needed to be fixed. "i'm sorry i blamed you," he responded gently, cuddling further into the pillow since he was dead-tired.

"i know why you would. also, this probably isn't what you want to hear right now...but i need to get it off my chest in order to move on."

"move on? what?"

"you know i really like you, right?"

"psh, that was it? mhm, i know."

"and i'm going to ask this one last time so that i'm not bothering you anymore, and so that i can attempt to take a step in a new direction."

"donghyuck-"

"i really want you to date me, even though that's easier said than done. it's super unfair that these uniforms and classes are the only barrier keeping me from being able to interest you. i only sleep around because i'm not settled with anyone yet, but i'm more than willing to give this lifestyle up for you."

"donghyuck..."

"i'm prepared for your rejection, and i suppose i always am. but there's always a use in trying. so, please go out with me. can't we deal with ebony and ivory together? can't we work around it and cross the discovery bridge when we get to it?"

inside, renjun's body was alight with nerves. he seemed perfectly calm and collected externally, but it was a crazy battlefield within. usually, he'd just give the other a straight 'no' and be done with it. but the fact that this was all the last time he'd do this....it sort of made his chest tighten.

maybe he'd grown used to donghyuck's constant flirting and, against his better judgement, become fond of it. there was no mistaking that he hadn't fallen for him yet, but the mere fact alone that the white uniform was the largest reason for it was pretty unfair, he'd admit. perhaps establishing a strike system for the blonde to prove himself was a much wiser option than a regretful 'no' or an impulsive 'yes'.

"lee donghyuck, i'm going to be completely honest with you, as you've always been as such with me. i have yet to feel the same way, and yes, probably because you're ivory and a player. but i'm also making the dumbest decision in my life to consider all of this."

"what do you mean? please don't lead me on-"

"i'm not leading you on, i promise. i've decided to give you three strikes, okay? you have to prove to me that you can be trusted to keep a secret like this. i want to trust you, i really do. but that means i need evidence that you'll give up the constant string of boys coming in here. you'll zip it about courting me."

"oh, of course. i'll reform," he chuckled cutely. it would've been a lie had renjun denied the butterflies that giggle gave him inside. it still wasn't the time to confront them though. "how long should i wait for you?"

"there's no set time. i need to open myself up to this as well, okay? while you 'reform' yourself, i'll be relaxing into the whole romance concept. deal?"

"yup. deal."

they lay in silence for a little while, admiring one another's features under the darkened shadows of the bedroom. the events of the past couple of weeks ran through both their minds at different speeds, and renjun supposed he had one more question. "y'know, you never defended me. when the rumours were obviously lies, and people were questioning you about them too....you never stood up for us and said 'of course we didn't'. why?"

"i guess a certain power came from that...." the blonde yawned, appearing quite exhausted. "i never slept with you...but i will admit it was a fun thought that i could've."

"you're so weird...."

"thank you."

idiot, renjun snickered to himself, watching as the younger fell asleep, then proceeding to get up and head back to his shift and save jisung, it wasn't a compliment, but i suppose you're cute.