Chapter Five

Susanna Berkeley was always under the impression that world wanted to chew her daughter up.

Ventura was reminded of this when it had been days since her letter flew out. She imagined her mother and grandmother were debating on how to reply to her letter- her grandmother likely wanted to share more than what Susanna deemed necessary, or perhaps Eileen kept burning the 'COME HOME NOW' drafts. Eileen was always the more understanding of the pair, always ready to answer almost any question Ventura had and share her wisdom. Sometimes this made her scared to ask.

Ventura tapped her pencil, on the book- Harry noticed the girl was not paying attention. Nor had she been for the past few days. She wasn't sure who was telling the truth, Theo or Harry- or perhaps both sides were utterly biased in their own experiences. Was she just melting in propaganda?

How was one supposed to form their own opinion when their personal experience was so foreign with no one like herself to talk to. But perhaps she was judging Theo too quickly, their brief conversation certainly didn't give time for him to divulge his full truth.

But still she couldn't help but get the sense that Harry and Theo were on opposite sides of a huge issue.

Worse of all, Professor Sparks hadn't followed up with her. Perhaps Theo was right- her name truly wasn't enough.

"Nervous about next hour?"

Harry's whisper, dripping with hushed concern made her snap from her thoughts. She had been holding her quill in a tight grip over the half written sentence under Chapter Eight. They were now on Chapter Nine.

"Is Malfoy giving you much trouble?"

Draco was seemingly public enemy number two besides Draco- though his rank on Harry's priority list could be comparable. This disdain somewhat mixed into Ventura's own opinion, taunting her view and allowing herself to find solace in the young Malfoy's cold shoulder.

"No."

It was the utter truth. She wished she could offer up a horror story about how he pulled her hair or teased her relentlessly for her screaming legs and her habit of kicking off her shoes in class to draw her knees to her chest. But if anything, Draco had been the better of the bunch. He just silently did her portion of the work thinking she was too dumb to do it herself.

She lifted her hand to place it on Harry's shoulder, his aura was one of intense stress- one two heavy and slipping the slope of depression to be assigned to just her well-being.

He wasn't telling her something.

"Are you alright?"

His brown eyes blinked under the shield of his coke bottle lenses.

"Of course."

Ventura's lips pursed.

"Are you going to the Slytherin party?"

She was almost surprised he still remembered that small footnote.

"It is a bit dangerous-"

"They're just kids." She felt this was a bit too harsh. "I think that... I just want to go- try something new."

Harry was quiet for a moment. The sound of the professors voice echoing in the silent room only accompanied by the sound of quills scratching on paper.