In the Hospital

Steve's POV

Alexx slipped in and out of consciousness as Tony brought us to the hospital. A team of doctors led by Dr. Cho met us at the emergency entrance and strapped her onto a gurney, the blanket covering her body. Alexx held my hand as tightly as she could and I held hers as I ran through the white halls of the hospital with the doctors.

We headed toward another set of double doors. As we approached, a doctor grabbed my shoulder and kept me from going through. Alexx's hand slipped from my grip and I watched through the little windows in the doors as she disappeared.

Tony and I stayed in the waiting room while Clint, Nat and Ryan flew back to New York to explain the situation to Bruce and Miranda.

Tony sat in a chair with his elbows on his knees, his hands clasped together underneath his chin. He tapped his foot as he stared at nothing in particular.

I folded my arms and paced around the room, needing to see Alexx. I couldn't take it anymore.

"Sit down, Steve. You're stressing me out." Tony mumbled.

"It's almost been five hours. I need to see her." I exclaimed. Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned to face them. "Yes?

A woman with light brown hair pulled into a side braid stood behind me. She was an average height for a woman, her eyes hazel, her smile kind.

"My name is Rachel, I'm one of the nurses working with Alexx Summers. You're here with her, right?" she asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

"Dr. Mark Jones is overseeing Alexx and wanted me to ask you a question."

"What is it?" Tony stood up.

"Captain, did you know that Alexx has...wings?" Rachel whispered, not wanting to alert anyone and not quite believing the words that came from her mouth.

"Yeah, we know. Are they okay?"

"Yes. We had to call in a local veterinarian, but her...wings...should be fine. Although it will take a while for the feathers to grow back."

"Can I see her?" I asked.

Tony cleared his throat. "Can we see her?"

"Yes, of course. I'll take you to her."

Rachel led us down several halls until we reached Alexx's room. She held the door open while we entered the room, then closed it behind us.

Alexx was hooked up to several machines and a breathing tube went down her throat, helping her breath. She was unconscious still, laying in the hospital bed. Her wings were hanging in slings attached to the ceiling. Bandages were taped over her cuts, making her look like a mummy.

A doctor stood by Alexx, checking the machines.

"Dr. Jones?" I assumed.

The doctor turned around. "Yes. You must be Steve Rogers and Tony Stark." he shook our hands.

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked, looking at Alexx.

"She is stable. Whatever happened to her, there was a lot of damage. If she were an average human, she wouldn't have survived."

"What about the poison?" Tony asked.

"Dr. Cho is working on an antidote as we speak. Luckily it is a slow acting poison, so it won't do much damage for the next few hours." He looked down at her. "She was in surgery for a very long time. Broken nose, several broken ribs, split intestines, damage to her liver..." He shook his head as if he didn't believe it. "You've got yourself a fighter."