18

▲▲▲

Ryder stood at the door with Kelli by his side. Malcolm was on the side, looking confused. His brows were darted as he glared at Ryder. Jersey pressed her nails into her lips and made her way to the door. She cleared her throat while placing her hand on the doorknob.

"Excuse us...for a minute." She stated while closing her door. Jersey turned around and placed her attention on Malcolm.

"What the fuck?"

"I didn't know he would bring her." Malcolm pushed out.

Jersey paused for a while as she tried to wrap her head around the whole situation. Having Kelli in her apartment was not on her agenda. Kelli had fucked over her once, and she didn't want it to happen again.

"I don't want her in my apartment, Malcolm."

"Alright." Malcolm nodded his head. "I'll tell Ryder to make her ass sit in the car."

Jersey pursed her lips as she made her way toward the Christmas tree. "You do that..."

He opened the door and noticed that Ryder was having a serious conversation with Kelli. It didn't take long for their attention to be grabbed.

"Jerse don't want you in her apartment, yo." He informed Kelli.

"She what?" Kelli jerked her neck as she blinked away. She stood there looking comfortable in her cashmere sweater and denim jeans. "She doesn't want me in her apartment. Well, I'm coming in anyway."

Before Malcolm could stop her, she marched right inside the house and looked around until she spotted Jersey on the carpet with wrapping paper, tape, and sticky bows surrounding her.

"We need to stop avoiding each other and talk...now."

Jersey looked up and realized it was a fuming Kelli. She wanted to stand up and scream about how she wanted her out of her apartment until it hit her.

She needed to have a civil conversation with Kelli. They never recovered from the incident back at Malcolm's old apartment.

"You want to talk?" Jersey questioned her while tossing the tape on the side, "Fine... let's talk." She stood up and allowed her old friend to follow her into the kitchen.

Kelli wasted no time taking a seat at the island. Jersey didn't sit at all. She just stood across from her.

"Let's start from the incident..." Kelli trailed off. "I was wrong...for taking Travis' side."

"Damn right you were." Jersey muttered, which caused Kelli to dart her eyes.

"I thought I was...in love with him. I figured covering up for him would strengthen our relationship." Kelli started. "But...he wasn't grateful for the sacrifice I made."

Jersey walked away from the bar to open her fridge. She grabbed two water bottles and made her way over to where Kelli was still blabbering.

"And I'm sorry for leaving you at that apartment. You asked me...you asked me if you could come and I said no. I'm sorry about that, Jay. I was just...upset. You know I would never do that to you."

Jersey slid the water bottle over to her and leaned against the island with her water in her manicured hands.

"I don't know what you would do..." Jersey trailed off, shrugging her shoulders. "You always surprise me, Kelli."

"But I didn't mean it...I was angry with you."

Jersey untwisted the cap off of her water bottle and took large gulps. She set the bottle down after quenching her thirst. Her brown eyes narrowed in retaliation.