Chapter 14- Behind Lulu's punishment

The trip back to my room was filled with Duke's words. I was so engrossed in them that I didn't hear a word of Fanny's complaints over my behaviour.

The only thing in my head was the certainty of the Duke's correct assumptions. Cedric was not a normal child. According to the book, he was always a careful person who would never cause a mess that could endanger his friend. The only time he did such a thing was when he got rejected by Jennifer and married her sister (in this case, me). But it was too early for such behaviour. He hadn't even met Jenni yet.

No. Something was fishy...

"My Lady is lucky the Duke was so benevolent in your punishment... I heard you caused a big ruckus in the palace... My lady, are you listening to my words?!" Fanny's baffled voice brought my attention to her. She was now in front of me, hands on her hips and an annoyed face.

"Sorry, Fanny... I was thinking of something troubling..." I apologized in the hopes of calming her.

"My lady, you caused so much trouble for everyone! You have to reflect on your behaviour. A daughter of a duke shouldn't go around the city with a prince and a disgusting beast! What if he did something to you?!" Fanny rambled and rambled until she saw my angry face and stopped. She became as quiet as a mouse.

"I understand I caused trouble for everyone, and I am sincerely sorry for that. However, be careful with your words, Fanny. The one you just slandered is the aide of a Royal Prince and, as such, has a higher status than you. You can end up in jail for such remarks." I told her off, my words coming off a little too cold.

However, soon after, I felt guilty when I saw Fanny's eyes watering and heard her meek apologies. They looked sincere and I hated being the cause for them, but I also hated such horrible biases against the half-beasts. I knew they were not villainous like the Temple propagated, yet I knew because I had read the book, something Fanny didn't. Her poor judgment was not her fault. This I would have to change, slowly.

Anyway, I had to stop being guilty since I was actually helping her. She shouldn't be going around bad-mouthing a superior in rank, even if he is a half-beast. In the Sun Empire that was a crime and it could lead to prison or hard labour. To this Empire, rank was the most important. In that regard, I am happy I was reborn well, though as a woman there were few benefits.

"Stop crying..." I used my handkerchief to clean her tears. "I am sorry I was tough with you!"

"I know." Fanny was now without tears on her face, though her voice sounded a little dry.

"No more tears, I had enough for today!" Seeing her smile with a hint of mischief made me push forward a question I had in my head since the "punishment" took place. " Why was there such drama because of my punishment? I thought I was really in trouble for a moment!"

"And you could be!" Answered Fanny, her energetic persona returning. "You have to repent to be able to get away. No matter how much our Duke loves you, he can not forgive you if there is no "real" emotion." She expressed the word real with a strong emphasis.

So basically, a show was needed to get away with punishment. In my world I would never get away with such things, here, however, seemed to be the practice.

"Besides my lady, we cry because many were afraid too." Fanny had a worried expression, that I couldn't comprehend. "It is not only my lady who gets punished, the Duke may think we are not serving you well and cut us off. That is a tragedy for people like me! It's an honor to serve the Dukedom and it pays well. None of us wish to return to poverty."

Those words shocked me. I hadn't realized that the Duke could do such a thing over a mistake I caused. What a horrible thing to do and full of nonsense! Seriously writer?! I didn't even know about this.... the book barely mentions the servants, so why create such hardships and stupid rules?! Ahhhhhh I am so tired of all this!!

"Don't worry my lady!" A smile appeared again on Fanny's face, for sure to calm my worried state. "As long as we all seemed repentant everything is alright! Besides, the Duke wouldn't substitute me! I am the only one who can handle my Lady Lucreatia." A contagious grin showed on her face.

"Well, I didn't do much, yet." It was my turn to smile, running at full speed to my room.

Behind was a Fanny, walking fast and in a worried mood.

"Yet?! My lady, what do you mean by yet?! Please don't do anything reckless, I may actually die of a heart attack!" Her worries echoed in the large stone corridor, that today looked uncharacteristically dark.

While my life was always my first priority, that didn't mean I wouldn't mind causing problems to Fanny, or the others. They were my only allies, besides Jenni and the Duke. The ones who could offer me help when I needed it.

I would just have to be more careful and I am sure everything would work out, somehow.

What did you think of Lulu's punishment? Tell me about it!

-//---------------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!