Chapter 8: Photographs [pt. 2/2]

"We're painted red to fit right in," Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

"Hmm, I think your glasses are fogging up," Starling said with a smirk plastered to his lips

I could feel the heat radiating from my cheeks as I realized my fingertips were lingering on the lips of the man in the photo. I shoved the picture back at Starling. He caught it and let out a bemused snort.

I wasn't staring at it that long, and memorizing his features was part of the job.

"Don't let that picture fool you. A year of hard time can change anyone and from what I've heard Baton uses unusual punishment methods to make prisoners conform. He'll be rough around the edges, I'm sure," Hayden said.

It was understandable. I probably wouldn't look too hot after leaving the prison either. "Unusual punishment? Can you elaborate on that?" I asked.

"We don't know any more than that," Starling said, shaking his head.

Disgusted was too nice of a word to describe how I felt in that moment. This guy was supposed to be running... something, yet all he could come up with in background information was 'unusual punishments'? I wanted to kick him in the balls. The tingling in my toes made my right foot itch with need. I flexed and settled my hand against my knee to keep it steady. Stupidity breeds and my foot wanted to do the world a favor. Clearly, the sound of my teeth grinding wasn't enough to keep him from smirking at me.

I hope this baboon is sterile.

Hayden reached towards me, another picture in his hand. "That's Marion."

I pulled the rough-around-the-edges photo towards me. My heart ached at the creases and folds on the corners. Images of Hayden looking at the photograph late in the night crossed my mind. He loved his sister enough to fight for her. I never thought I'd have something in common with him. Heaving a sigh, I focused on the tiny girl in the picture. Sun reflected against her wheat brown hair and her blue eyes twinkled with mischief as she stared into the camera.

"I've been told she's been dying her hair a platinum blonde," Hayden spoke softly. "Did I tell you she likes to dye her hair too?"

I wasn't going to tell him the purple in my hair was the first time I'd ever dyed my hair. At the time, I had been going through something... something he caused.