Chapter 8

I had talked Kevin into letting me fetch my own car from inside the garage. I was terrified to step into the broken building but I was more afraid of what Kevin would do once he got inside. His mood had only darkened the more we spoke. I wasn't sure what changed or what I did, all I wanted to do was fetch my car and be rid of him.

My car was easy to find considering it was the only red one. I strolled towards my car avoiding tripping over any lose lying tools. Dean soon joined me alongside my car as I quickly ran my gaze along the sleek design. I gasped in surprise. My car was clean, as in you can see your reflexion through the door clean. My car had only ever been so clean once, and that was the day we bought it. I was shocked.

"My car is clean." I mumbled and ran a hand along the door. Dean stood beside me, inspecting me with his gaze.

"Is that a bad thing?" He asked.

I laughed half heartedly, "not at all. I'm just shocked beyond comprehension. My car was filthy yesterday and now it looks brand new."

Dean chuckled and took a step closer towards me, "we're a full service station, Tori."

"Thank you." I whispered and snuck a look in his direction. Dean stood with his hands in his overalls' pockets with his head hung though, his eyes were on me. His eyes I noticed were a rich emerald, a green so vibrant it reminded me of the Amazon Rainforest. His shining head glistened with a layer of sweat and I noticed a whisper of a tan line running just above his forehead, giving me reason to assume he lived in caps.

"So when do you want to grab dinner?" Dean scoffed his shoe against the rough and chapped surface of the garage floor, his eyes never finding mine as he spoke.

"I would need to check my schedule but I think Saturday should be fine." I couldn't commit to a date until I had found a sitter for Tommy. Bringing a baby to a first date was not the way to ensure a second.

"Works for me. I'll call you tomorrow then." I nodded and wondered briefly if he would keep his word or wait a few days like most men, as though playing uninterested was the best way to keep a girl interested.

"I should go." I said after a quick glance at the digital clock on my phone. Kevin and I had a class and I needed to get Tommy home. Dean nodded and opened my car door for me. I climbed into the car and was instantly hit with the smell of pine. "You even made my car smell nice. I think I owe you more than dinner."

"I guess you owe me one hell of a date then." He winked and closed my car door. I blushed as I reversed and drove the short distance to where Kevin was parked.

"Took you long enough!" Kevin snapped and I froze in my walk.

"Why are you angry? You suggested I come here."

"We need to go."

"I know which is why I'm here." Kevin glared and wordlessly opened his door and grabbed Tommy's seat with him in it.

"Here." I reached for the seat and continued to stare perplexed at Kevin.

"Why do you look so furious? Did I miss something?" Again Kevin ignored my question and proceeded to place Tommy's bag in my car. "Are you ever going to answer me or just continue to act as though I'm not here?"

"I'll see you at school." Kevin fell into his car and slammed his door. Without another word or glance, he sped away.

"What the hell?" I mumbled into the cool air. Kevin was starting to become more of a hassle than I needed. Without anymore thought of Kevin, I drove to my house where I quickly dropped Tommy off and left to reach my class just in time.